·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Great Video. Now I want to do this upgrade from my Curt system.. :damnit

Reactions: EpicCowlick

·
Bodyman
237 Posts
Good video.. when I did mine I didn't want to notch the bed so I just took the bed bolts out and lifted it up a little and slide the brackets in. Also keep an eye on your bed floor. For some reason my companion hitch is crushing my floor at the front and the back of the "H" from stopping and going with my toyhauler. I went through and made sure everything was tight too.

·
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good video.. when I did mine I didn't want to notch the bed so I just took the bed bolts out and lifted it up a little and slide the brackets in. Also keep an eye on your bed floor. For some reason my companion hitch is crushing my floor at the front and the back of the "H" from stopping and going with my toyhauler. I went through and made sure everything was tight too.
The manufacturer makes some custom support pads that go underneath the Front and rear of the base unit. I haven't gotten one but I know they exist. I'm going to see if I can find them.

Looks like we have very similar outfits. Mine is a 38 foot Next Level.
How do you find the towing when you're all loaded up?

·
Bodyman
237 Posts
The manufacturer makes some custom support pads that go underneath the Front and rear of the base unit. I haven't gotten one but I know they exist. I'm going to see if I can find them.

Looks like we have very similar outfits. Mine is a 38 foot Next Level.
How do you find the towing when you're all loaded up?
My dad had some thick rubber mudflaps at home off a semi trailer that I cut to fit under both sides and that works pretty good. Keeps the base from rotating on the bed floor.

I love how the truck pulls mine. Do you have airbags on your truck? That was what made a huge difference for me. With my front leveling kit and 60psi in the bags it tracks down the road and handles real well. I weighed my setup with my Samurai in the back and it was at 26,250 so I'm a little over loaded too.

·
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My dad had some thick rubber mudflaps at home off a semi trailer that I cut to fit under both sides and that works pretty good. Keeps the base from rotating on the bed floor.

I love how the truck pulls mine. Do you have airbags on your truck? That was what made a huge difference for me. With my front leveling kit and 60psi in the bags it tracks down the road and handles real well. I weighed my setup with my Samurai in the back and it was at 26,250 so I'm a little over loaded too.
I'm definitely Planning to install airbags as my next project. Which ones are you using?

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
I'm definitely Planning to install airbags as my next project. Which ones are you using?

Epic,

I run Pac Brake Air Bags with Air Lift Quick shot single on board air. I am more than pleased with both and they work together perfect. Trust me when you look at PacBrake quality vs. the competition you will be surprised. I feel PacBrake has the BEST setup for bags out there.

Reactions: EpicCowlick

·
645 Posts
the powder coat will peel off in year and be rusty, all mine did

·
Bodyman
237 Posts
I put my Firestone Ride-Rite bags on that I had on my 08. But I had to cut and modify the left side mount because the def tank and lines were in the way.

·
517 Posts
Call or Email B&W they will send you those pads for free. I got mine in a couple days. They are a hard plastic, and have sticky tape to hold them. (Like the tape that holds the smaller feet on the hitch)
I bought my Companion used too, off ebay. Told them I did. They didn't care! They shipped them out the same day I called.

Also epic, great video for sure, I wish I had the patience to do that while I install something.
I also lifted my bed. Being a new truck the bolts came out easily with my #50 torx socket and my impact. However with the liner you don't want to loosen the bolts I imagine, it would break the seal around them. I hope to get my Linex soon, don't want to put it off to long.
Also, you don't have to measure, if you didn't have the linex in there you'd see they already had it "Center punched" for you in the middle of that "FABULOUS" recessed spot! And it was exactly 46 1/8", (I still measured two or three times before sitting the drill in there!)

Glad I watched your video. I have only hooked to the Companion twice. Both times I used the pin to hold the handle open... didn't know it locked out there and automatically closed when the king pin was seated into the hitch! Learn something new every day, or week when you get my age! LOL

·
9 Posts
If you need air bags on a brand new truck you are overloaded.

GCWR in the 350 SRW 23000#

And my side bracket for my B&W peeled after a couple of years and they replaced it. I had to by the labor.

·
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you need air bags on a brand new truck you are overloaded.

GCWR in the 350 SRW 23000#

And my side bracket for my B&W peeled after a couple of years and they replaced it. I had to by the labor.
Yes I need airbags partly because I am overloaded. Even within ratings though they provide a lot of stability and re-level the truck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Call or Email B&W they will send you those pads for free. I got mine in a couple days. They are a hard plastic, and have sticky tape to hold them. (Like the tape that holds the smaller feet on the hitch)
I bought my Companion used too, off ebay. Told them I did. They didn't care! They shipped them out the same day I called.

Also epic, great video for sure, I wish I had the patience to do that while I install something.
I also lifted my bed. Being a new truck the bolts came out easily with my #50 torx socket and my impact. However with the liner you don't want to loosen the bolts I imagine, it would break the seal around them. I hope to get my Linex soon, don't want to put it off to long.
Also, you don't have to measure, if you didn't have the linex in there you'd see they already had it "Center punched" for you in the middle of that "FABULOUS" recessed spot! And it was exactly 46 1/8", (I still measured two or three times before sitting the drill in there!)

Glad I watched your video. I have only hooked to the Companion twice. Both times I used the pin cars for sale in Miami
to hold the handle open... didn't know it locked out there and automatically closed when the king pin was seated into the hitch! Learn something new every day, or week when you get my age! LOL
-------------
hey man, yea its very easy, go to rockauto.com and look up the trailer hitch under exterior accessories for the 944, and it will show you how to install it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts