The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
General Contractor
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving home tuesday night in the slow lane. I had pulled over to give my wife insurance info because she was on the way to the hospital. As I was getting back up to speed 45-70 there were cars merging from a on ramp when I noticed a bag of cement near the white lines. I started to slow but too late, the truck missed it, the driverside front tire on the trailer nailed it. the trailer wiggled a little then through the lights of cars behind me I saw all the smoke. the tire was destroyed. It looks like a bomb went off in the tire. I will post pics tomorrow since my wife is back from the hospital.

·
General Contractor
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As promised
[/URL]

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
Ouch... After my wreck where I rear ended my buddy's boat, I said to my buddy's wife that I noticed my boat trailer was riding a little funny (He was going to drop his boat off at his house, his wife and kids got in my truck after the accident). We agreed that it was because I had bent my trailer. Well, a few miles later, his daughter (in my back seat) says "why are there black chunks flying out from behind the trailer?" :eek:wned

·
3,754 Posts
ouch

·
Registered
39 Posts
I noticed on my trailer they are Freestars. Freaking China made crap. I had thought I was getting Goodyears. Hopefully they will last a year and I can get Michelins/Goodyears.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i cant say i have had a blow out yet but i hope i never do. Nock on wood.

Jared

·
Registered
42 Posts
Had a blow out a couple weeks ago on the 5th wheel and no spare:damnit . I got rid of the For Trailer Use POS tires and went with regular steel belted car tires.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I was 60 miles east of Kingman AZ with my 5er and blew the left front tire on the trailer.... within 1/2 mile the other tire on the same side let go... 4:30 on a Sat. afternoon and one spare....ouch. To top it off, coming back through the SAME stretch of highway going the other way one week later, lost a tire on the passenger side!!! Now I carry two spares, and a wad of cash just in case!!:damnit

BTW, can you guess who made the tires? You got it, freestar! They were only 1 year old, and I weighed the trailer when I got home- I was under my GVW....

·
Registered
308 Posts
ACC inc. said:
I was driving home tuesday night in the slow lane. I had pulled over to give my wife insurance info because she was on the way to the hospital. As I was getting back up to speed 45-70 there were cars merging from a on ramp when I noticed a bag of cement near the white lines. I started to slow but too late, the truck missed it, the driverside front tire on the trailer nailed it. the trailer wiggled a little then through the lights of cars behind me I saw all the smoke. the tire was destroyed. It looks like a bomb went off in the tire. I will post pics tomorrow since my wife is back from the hospital.
I just hate when people don't tie stuff down or drop &(&% on the road and keep drivin'.......:nunu:

·
Gear jammin fool
869 Posts
I lost three tires on my triaxle on the way to Indy a few years ago. I made it couple hours into trip when someone yelled on radio that I was losing one. Saw in drivers mirror that it was shreding. Great. I pulled over to find a real mess. Middle tire lost the tread and in the process destroyed the rear tires too(sliced it up). Great two flats, one spare. Put spare on rear, let center axle hang for remaining 4 hrs. It was 9pm so wasn't getting tires that night, was just going to take it easy and hope for the best. Made it to Indy and parked at campgrounds for night. Next day took two tires to town for replacements. Got back to mount them, realized the front tire was slashed BAD!! Don't know how it made it 250 miles? Went back to town, got a THIRD tire.

The following weekend I lost one pass side tire on way to race track(local run-55 miles). Put spare on, lost another pass tire on way home!!

Within 7 days I put 6 new tires on trailer. I wasn't complaining as they were 6 yrs old! Never had flat on it before, so they were all about due, though they weren't worn out, just old for trailer tires go.

My saving grace is tri axle(3-5K) and I'm only about 10K on them. So it's easier on them then if I only had tandems. Scrubbing them has never been a problem as I'm really easy with corners. I've got 4 more years on those new tires and still going strong. Guess I'm the exception to the trailer tire rule? Or just real LUCKY! I always get the Goodyear version(name?). Not cheap(usually $110ea), but seem to last.

·
General Contractor
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought these were quality Trailer tires. Chinese crap.... New tires for a 7k axel are like 250 each. I have replaced 2 of them since this thread started.

·
Registered
26 Posts
LiftedDuramax said:
Had a blow out a couple weeks ago on the 5th wheel and no spare:damnit . I got rid of the For Trailer Use POS tires and went with regular steel belted car tires.
You should get rid of those car tires. Car tires are not good on trailers. The sidewall is not meant for that kind of load. If you buy a brand name trailer tire and maintain them you wont have any problems. Most tire manufacturers will tell you the tire life is usually 5-7 years depending on brand. That goes for trailer and car tires,

·
52 Posts
I had a blowout on the highway a year or two ago. I was towing 10,000lbs and had the tires a little low, which was my problem. It's a good thing I didn't lose more than one. I just dragged the trailer on the wheel to the next exit at about 10mph. Took it and got it changed and stuck it back on the trailer.

·
Found On Russ' Drive
693 Posts
My trailer tires were 5yrs old(almost to the month) 2 blow outs in a weeks time. 4 New ones went on the following week. Sun is hard on trailer tires.

·
TDG Mafia Member #45
296 Posts
dickeypjeep said:
Looks like the other tire next to it is bald as can be....
that was 1 of my spares. i had put it on earlier that day. i carry 2 spares for my trailer.

i have to kept my tire in good shape. i have to roll a cross the scales everyday.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts