The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after fighting this truck forever I decided to change the glow plugs today and found that one did not have the ceramic tip onit any more and the other one wouldn't come out. I know that it has been broke off in there while and that I have run the truck because it had soot on the end of it and that would prolly be why it started so hard. but what damage do you guys think happened to the head, piston and cylinder beacuse obviously I have ran it like this. I"m pulling the enigine right now to find out but just wondering what i'm going to see. Thanks allot Andy :damnit :damnit :damnit

·
0 Posts
At a minimum I'd be worried about scored cylinder walls. I would also check the exhaust wheel. If that tip blew out it might have damaged that as well.

·
Ol Dirt Contractor
2,803 Posts
If you’ve had no obvious things like, loss of compression, rough running while warmed up, high oil consumption or loss of boost, I’d leave it alone and drive with the new glow plugs.

Many times glow plug tips melt off in small enough pieces to cause little or no damage.. Sometimes it takes a little work to get a distorted tip out but if you can do it no need to pull the motor.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks allot guys. I'm just worried if it broke off in there and the piston caught it, what damage it would cause. I guess I will find out when I pull it apart. Thanks again Andy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts