The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know anything about a balancing shaft being in the cummins engines. someone told me that they thought they heard about balancing shaft gears breaking teeth off or something like that. or does this not have to do with our cummins.:popcorn:

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
I've never heard of it...

There is only two main shafts in a Cummins engine... Crankshaft and a Camshaft...

I've seen a few 24V and 12V engines tore down...

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
does Cummins make a v-6 because balancing shafts are used when you have banks of odd cylinders, because otherwise the vibration gets crazy and damaging

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Not that I know of... I've only seen I-6 and I-4 engines... I never seen a V style Cummins engine yet...

B

·
0 Posts
Perhaps who told you this was thinking of the tone ring on the crankshaft of the 24v engines. That is what is used for the crank sensor to read of the 24v's. Some of them are know to break and the engine has to be pulled to fix it.

Other than that the balancer is the only other thing on the crank or cam.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it sounds like he must have heard it about something else. i will let him know. thanks guys. if the tone ring breaks ,i assume the engine will not run? what if it just cracks. and is it near the back of the engine.

B

·
0 Posts
If it breaks it will not run. It is located in the center of the engine on the crankshaft.

·
3,514 Posts
I would imagine he's either think of the tone ring, or got confused by someone talking about the KDP and breaking the timing gears on the 12v's. Thats just my guess anyways.
Sean

·
71 Posts
4 cyl nat gas engines use balancing shafts. Waukesha has them for sure and i think that cat uses them too

1 - 11 of 11 Posts