The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of replacing my ball joints and I am running into some trouble. First off, they are a bear to get out from the knuckle, even with the ball joint remover I rented. My new ball joints are not wanting to seat all the way down into there spots on the knuckle. I press them in with the tool, but they only go about 2/3 of the way in. I have even tried adding a little grease to help them in. My impact gun that I am using only puts about 250 psi on the press tool so maybe thats not near enough force on the ball joint tool (c-clamp) It seems like they are slightly binding when they start to seat. Any ideas or tricks? Should I seek a better press with higher psi? Can the knuckles be honed a little to accept the new ball joints? Thanks in advance.

·
shes smart!
161 Posts
I would look for a better press. I wouldnt think you would want to hone them, it sounds like the tools not puttin enough presser to seat them all the way.

·
2,106 Posts
Are you using the loaner from Autozone??? If so it is a real pain with this anyway, no impact will do it, you need at least a 28 inch breaker bar, and a vise helps a lot. I still had to at times use a big deep-well socket and a four pound hammer. Make sure to use a socket that will sit on the base of the ball-joint without hitting the part with the threads. It also is hell if you put the wrong one in first, I forget which order they go though.

·
86 Posts
you could always try to take it to a shop to get it pressed in the rest of the way. It wouldn't take any time for them and I doubt they would charge much.

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
put ur ball joints in the frezer for an hour this will help or take em to the shop 12-15 bucks ea its worth the money IMHO

·
748 Posts
I recently did mine, It takes ALOT of torque to remove or install them. Use a big breaker bar. It also doesn't hurt to crank the tool down tight and then hit the end with a big hammer. Then, crank it tight again and hit with the BFH again until it comes out or seats in which ever you are doing.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Not sure what kind of press your using, but I have an OTC model. kind of looks like a giant C clamp... that with my bertha of an impact drives them in... Yes some are tight fit.. suggestions of little grease, freezer for 1hr are all possible tries...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I am using an OTC rental c clamp ball joint remover. I will try a couple of the suggestions above and see. If not I will have to take them to a shop and have them pressed in. Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts