The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Ball joints are shot so i went to the one of the local parts stores and bought upper/lower ball joints for both sides of my 04 F-350 cc lb dually!!

I have done a little research on this forum listening to a lot of you guys i ended up buying the Moogs ( they are made in the US) Gotta love that life time warranty!!

So my question is, after stripping the front end down to finish taking of the Hub i gotta take the manual 4x4 locks off. I just take that "snap ring" off with a set of pliers and gently pull out? Right? Anything to look out for?

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Neighborhood toolbox :)
137 Posts
Watch out for the spring in the locking hub(s), heck might as well replace the spring while you are in there.

Reactions: sjladd6_0L

·
1,661 Posts
Also might want to take a look at the seals for the 4X4 vacuum hubs, they tend to go bad.

It's easier to use snap ring pliers to get the snap ring out.

After you have the new ball joints installed, and before you reinstall the axle shaft, put on the zerk fitting and grease the upper ball joint. Then remove the zerk fitting and put in the zerk plug fitting. Your gonna need to use the zerk plug on the top one because the regular zerk fitting is too long and will hit the u-joint.

Reactions: sjladd6_0L

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
Moved the thread to the General ford Section but did leave a 5 day redirect on it.(5 days it will no longer show up in the 6.0L discussion section)

·
52 Posts
yea you might have to use 2 flat head screw drivers to pry it out the 2 prybar to get the axel out then it cake if you got a press do the bottem first then the top to get out then top then bottem

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome thanks guys..... Gotta get the truck thawed out first, its been in the single digits to -6 up here!!!!

·
Tyler
63 Posts
Also might want to take a look at the seals for the 4X4 vacuum hubs, they tend to go bad.

It's easier to use snap ring pliers to get the snap ring out.

After you have the new ball joints installed, and before you reinstall the axle shaft, put on the zerk fitting and grease the upper ball joint. Then remove the zerk fitting and put in the zerk plug fitting. Your gonna need to use the zerk plug on the top one because the regular zerk fitting is too long and will hit the u-joint.

he just said they are manual locking hubs. why would he have vacuum seals?

·
Tyler
63 Posts
and by the way. i have tried moog ball joints twice before and good luck trying to tighten down the lower balljoint nut. that ***** will spin all day before you get it locked down. happens ALL the time. i just said **** it and bought ford ones. the old style ford ones would spin a little first with an impact but they re designed them with an allen spot in the top to hold it and use a regular wrench. goodluck. maybe the moog ones will work for you

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
and by the way. i have tried moog ball joints twice before and good luck trying to tighten down the lower balljoint nut. that ***** will spin all day before you get it locked down. happens ALL the time. i just said **** it and bought ford ones. the old style ford ones would spin a little first with an impact but they re designed them with an allen spot in the top to hold it and use a regular wrench. goodluck. maybe the moog ones will work for you

i had the same problem. For the life of me i could not get them to stop spinning.. i even droped the knuckle while on the truck onto a block of wood to try and seat the thing.. nothing.. i finally cut a slit in the top of the thread that i could get a thine flat bar into to hold it. I think this is the last time i buy moog ball-joints for MY truck or any other SD with the same part numbers.. i may try moog again for another application but never again do i want to deal with that retardedness on my truck!

·
1,661 Posts

·
Tyler
63 Posts
i tried cutting a slot in the top of the moog ones too and it was so hard to tighten it even with that. i tried jacking up all of the weight on the lower side too and even tried clamping it with my balljoint press. nothing works with those stupid things. every one in a thousand may get lucky and lock down

·
MAFIA #8
5,567 Posts
i had the same problem. For the life of me i could not get them to stop spinning.. i even droped the knuckle while on the truck onto a block of wood to try and seat the thing.. nothing.. i finally cut a slit in the top of the thread that i could get a thine flat bar into to hold it. I think this is the last time i buy moog ball-joints for MY truck or any other SD with the same part numbers.. i may try moog again for another application but never again do i want to deal with that retardedness on my truck!
I install these ALL the time and never had the trouble you all are talking about....:bang

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
I install these ALL the time and never had the trouble you all are talking about....:bang
At was all 4 not just 1 of them too.. I think their may have been a big bad batch of them?

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
All of mine were tight as a mofo going in and didn't spin at all when we tighten emm down... :beer

1 - 15 of 15 Posts