The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Eddy
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story, short. Bought 06-6.0 with a banks 6 gun, monster exhaust and gauges already installed. Not happy with how tranny shifts. I understand banks developed this product without updating shift programs in the 6 gun.....How stupid. What's the best way to correct/improve shift patterns without removing or replacing 6 gun. Thx in advance.

·
Eddy
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one has any come across this combination or sinario before?

·
688 Posts
The only thing I know to do is unplug it then reinstall. after that start on the first level and you accelerate from 0-60 3 times under medium throttle. then perform this step on all 6 levels.

My brother has a 04 6.0 with banks and about once a year we have to reprogram it this way. it sux but it will work fine for awhile.

Good luck

I know alot of people on here will say get rid of it and go with something else, you can do that too if you want.

Reactions: Eddy

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
I have no experience with Banks Power stuff, I will say they are not real popular around any diesel forum that I have seen, but that may be mostly due to the fact that this is the kinda of place you learn about custom tuning. Leaving all that a side. It is a electronic so it can fail. I would contact Banks and talk with their "tech" department. This could be something very common with their product but you may not see it posted everywhere. I do believe I would try the steps above and unplug and reinstall.

Good Luck.

Reactions: Eddy

·
3,051 Posts
Take the 6gun off the truck, get an SCT tuner with custom tuning. I use [email protected] I suggest an SCT-X3 device with custom tuning[http://www.kemperformance.com/Products_Detail.php?ProductID=32], it will tune and match the transm shifting along with the engine to whatever power levels you desire. No inline device like a Banks tuner will tune the transm on a 6L PowerStroke, so every time you change the setting to a different number, the transm wiggs out and can't adapt right away or ever for that matter. With an SCT and custom tuning it will run and shift awesome. Banks 6guns have a reputation for destroying the transm. If your truck is not ARP head studded, then stick with lower power level tuning or close to stock. Any power adding on a 6L has its risks.

Harry

·
Eddy
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx for all the replies. I'll be upgrading to the SCT. Bought this truck with 94K. Looking at keeping it a long time and getting the best out of it with the proper and proven ad ons.

Reactions: harry6.0

·
188 Posts
Good move to ditch the Banks need to get a coolant filter on ASAP and maybe get the Edge CTS for starters to tell the health of your motor.
2 stroker

1 - 7 of 7 Posts