The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use any of the Banks products? Looking at the ram air, banks six gun with pda and the monster exhaust, what are your thoughts.

cheers, Scott

·
I like Pretty Girls!
1,332 Posts
I don't think you find any Banks guys here YET...

I haven't heard of anyone with the banks programer and I wouldn't be the first to try it either, the others (SCT, Spartan) have been out for over a year now so there is a lot less bugs in them

·
116 Posts
Dont do it!!! :bang

Like Hollywood said, look at Vendors from the site, ie; Spartan, Innovative, etc...

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
Does anyone use any of the Banks products? Looking at the ram air, banks six gun with pda and the monster exhaust, what are your thoughts.

cheers, Scott
You can go with the intake and dpf back exhaust BUT Your not going to see a whole lot of mileage or performance gains unless you take off the DPF/DOC. And that requires a certain tuner like SCT or Spartan. And if you were to go with the 6 gun you would clog up your DPF much faster then you would stock which would lead to you having to replace the dpf. And if your dealer doesn't cover that cause they know your running a tuner then the new DPF comes out of your wallet. Most dealers wont know if you were running a spartan, but they could possibly see that a banks programmer was present. And Spartan/SCT have much better transmission tuning than the Banks, which is a huge bonus.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have Banks stuff in my pu. Big Hoss, 6 Gun, Intercooler, and exhaust. I have nothing bad to say about them and have not had any problems with them. Everything Banks said these mods would do they have. The biggest downfall to them is they can be a bit pricey, but I believe if you have the money buy quality, IMO. Of course my opinion is up against a bunch of kids who feel if you are not hammering on your motor to the greatest extent possible, blowing black fuel out of your tail pipe all day like you are at a pull, then you are wasting your money on anything else. So do your research yourself. Call around, be educated. Find out which combo out there will work for YOU the best, not what everyone else says will work for you.

·
I like Pretty Girls!
1,332 Posts
In the older Ford they have been good soo I hear, but in the 6.4 nothing good has come of them yet.... I say yet because I am sure they will have something one day but when you can get something that has been out for our trucks for over a year that seems like the better way to go.

·
100 Posts
You can go with the intake and dpf back exhaust BUT Your not going to see a whole lot of mileage or performance gains unless you take off the DPF/DOC. And that requires a certain tuner like SCT or Spartan. And if you were to go with the 6 gun you would clog up your DPF much faster then you would stock which would lead to you having to replace the dpf. And if your dealer doesn't cover that cause they know your running a tuner then the new DPF comes out of your wallet. Most dealers wont know if you were running a spartan, but they could possibly see that a banks programmer was present. And Spartan/SCT have much better transmission tuning than the Banks, which is a huge bonus.
Question here? How in the hell do you know it clogs up your filter? Not sticking up for banks but they have done a ton of research on the soot and dpf with there 6 gun tunner. May not be as powerful as spartan/sct but others from another site says it's pretty good power wise. Not everyone wants to take off their dpf or can. Banks tunner is a lot more compatible with the dpf. Just my .02 Sorry, just get a little fed up when people talk bad about another product without even having it. That's like people say stay away from the 6.4 and they don't even have one.

Reactions: GhettoMedic

·
I like Pretty Girls!
1,332 Posts
Somone posted it, maybe not the news but it was a article somewhere, I will look to see if i can find the article.

Just so you know Spartan does have DPF on tunes, and there hasn't been any issues with them (as fas as I know). Not trying to deture you or sell for Spartan but their product for the 6.4 has been proven. SCT may have something also but I'm not sure.

·
Ford 6.4 it's just cooler
673 Posts
Question here? How in the hell do you know it clogs up your filter? Not sticking up for banks but they have done a ton of research on the soot and dpf with there 6 gun tunner. May not be as powerful as spartan/sct but others from another site says it's pretty good power wise. Not everyone wants to take off their dpf or can. Banks tunner is a lot more compatible with the dpf. Just my .02 Sorry, just get a little fed up when people talk bad about another product without even having it. That's like people say stay away from the 6.4 and they don't even have one.
B/C banks pulled them off the shelves shortly after the initial release for some "unknown reason"...gotta have fuel for more power

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
Its going to produce more smoke, and all programmers add fuel. Unburned fuel=Smoke=Early DPF Clog. Banks is full of crap, they think their products are the best in the world when they are far from it. And yes i have had banks products and its nothing special. If and WHEN the banks tuner clogs the DPF your gonna have to pay big bucks for a new one. IMO delete the DPF or dont tune. simple is that. If you dont agree then i could honestly care less.

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
the DPF clogs up with a stock set up. How is it that Gale can call his products DPF "safe" if they are adding more soot from added horse power. There is no DFP safe tuner on the market. PERIOD. All will lead to premeture DPF failure. And to advertise it as a safe alternative is false advertising. The only thing that Banks has to offer(Spartan too) if the fact that the regen funtion is still enabled in the tuning.The only way to prevent it is to remove the DPF all together.

As far as overall tuning capabilities. Banks and the other canned tuners on the market have a lot of catching up to do with SCT custom tuning providers and Spartan. To call their tranny tning sub par would be a compliment. Issues with running hot and cooking motors are not common but frequent enough to cause concern. 2 have come through my local dealer in the last 6 mnths and this is a town of 16,000 people. Do your research prior to make a choice but remember. Buyer beware and open forums such as this and other sites will not steer you wrong. Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion but time has shown that the voice of majority is usually the right way to go.

Reactions: Super08Duty

·
cool as december
1,032 Posts
I have Banks stuff in my pu. Big Hoss, 6 Gun, Intercooler, and exhaust. I have nothing bad to say about them and have not had any problems with them. Everything Banks said these mods would do they have. The biggest downfall to them is they can be a bit pricey, but I believe if you have the money buy quality, IMO. Of course my opinion is up against a bunch of kids who feel if you are not hammering on your motor to the greatest extent possible, blowing black fuel out of your tail pipe all day like you are at a pull, then you are wasting your money on anything else. So do your research yourself. Call around, be educated. Find out which combo out there will work for YOU the best, not what everyone else says will work for you.
Coming from a guy with a smoky old 7.3... i bet my 275 tune puts out less smoke ( if driven right)

B/C banks pulled them off the shelves shortly after the initial release for some "unknown reason"...gotta have fuel for more power

Yeah im friends with a guy that owns a local shop and they are a banks dealer and his was on back order for about 4 months and it was for his personal truck... he does have it now and seams to like it but he's only had it 1000 miles so the test has not been done on it yet.

the DPF clogs up with a stock set up. How is it that Gale can call his products DPF "safe" if they are adding more soot from added horse power. There is no DFP safe tuner on the market. PERIOD. All will lead to premeture DPF failure. And to advertise it as a safe alternative is false advertising. The only thing that Banks has to offer(Spartan too) if the fact that the regen funtion is still enabled in the tuning.The only way to prevent it is to remove the DPF all together.

As far as overall tuning capabilities. Banks and the other canned tuners on the market have a lot of catching up to do with SCT custom tuning providers and Spartan. To call their tranny tning sub par would be a compliment. Issues with running hot and cooking motors are not common but frequent enough to cause concern. 2 have come through my local dealer in the last 6 mnths and this is a town of 16,000 people. Do your research prior to make a choice but remember. Buyer beware and open forums such as this and other sites will not steer you wrong. Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion but time has shown that the voice of majority is usually the right way to go.

well put, if you dont want all out power even the smaller spartan tunes are good hp increases, good power, better shifting then banks will ever dream of doing, and the 210 tune is pretty much smokeless...

I would just hate for you to buy banks and want more down the road, and i think the dash daq is a better display ect then the pda. And you can get the lower tunes, or the dpf "safe" tunes and if you want more just move up its cheap after the initial investment...

·
773 Posts
I got my Spartan tuner and have run all the tunes I got, including stock with no regen right up to 275. When I put it back to stock no regen I was surprised at how much smoke it makes, a puff of smoke off idle, floor it to pass on the hi-way, smoke. I ran the 75 hp tune and it smokes less, and the 210 put out about the same or just a bit more than the stock tune, soo, maybe there is room for more power without burning up the DPF faster, but I would recomend removing it and running a smaller tune if thats all you want.

Rene

·
79 Posts
DO NOT go with Banks tuner man! Had one for my old 6.0 and that thing did not communicate with the Torqueshift trans worth a crap! Always had to do a trans learning sequense every time you took it up a level (wasted a lot of fuel doing this!). After all that crap, it still would not properly communicate, crappy shifts and even sent it into limp mode once and threw on the check engine light. I got no support from them either! I doubt they have figured it out yet either! Just my two cents! Be forwarned! I got rid of it and replaced with SCT Livewire and what a difference! The best trans files!

·
Registered
38 Posts
i've always advised to stay away from banks... overpriced generic crapola.... i mean sure if you wanna pay a sh*tload of money for something that you can get for cheaper from another company then go for it!
unlike the 6.4 us 7.3 guys actually have to work on our engines to make power (it sucks btw) LOL and banks never made a good product for the 7.3, or the 6.0.. especially if you want more then the smallest increase...
edit: forgot to mention that their trans tuning does suck pretty bad... their old 6-gun for the 7.3 didn't even do any trans tuning... it was literally just an 18k mod... (put 18k worth of resistors in-line with the ICP) which only gives a very small gain

·