The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Dodge 2006 4X4 quad cab with the cummins and want to get a programmer, wanted to get some opinions on who is using what, and if anybody has had any luck with the banks six gun.

·
1,409 Posts
I guess it depends on what kind of luck you are talking about. There are way better products out there for you. The cummins guys will be along shortly to point you in the right direction. Have you done any mods yet? What do you use the truck for? Or what would you like to acccomplish?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mckey73 said:
I guess it depends on what kind of luck you are talking about. There are way better products out there for you. The cummins guys will be along shortly to point you in the right direction. Have you done any mods yet? What do you use the truck for? Or what would you like to acccomplish?
Mainly looking for good fuel mileage, but have a 5th wheel which weighs 11,000lbs give or take, also my equipment trailer which is 12,000gvw haulin my tractor and some implements.
No mods yet just got the truck thought I would try dodge since I had to many problems with my fords 6.0 turbo diesel. Lets hope the truck does well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't know know what the beef with Banks is with some on this site, but I've had nothing but positive things happen to me with the six-pack. I thought it was easy to install, for a guy with some mechanical skill. BUT, you have to install the thermocouple or the computer won't do a thing. Good idea to install it anyway as the turbo starts taking a crap after 1350*. Went with the monster exhaust and wastegate for the turbo. Getting the PDA next. Cheaper than a set of gauges.

Good luck.

Norm

·
Registered
30 Posts
just go with the SMARTY and a set of guages

·
275 Posts
yeh i would personally run from the Banks system. 2 of my friends have installed and resold them within a week of getting them. You could go with the Edge/Attitude setup that has the guages for you, but there are many options out there. You may want to think upgrading the transmission IMO.

·
386 Posts
Go with the SMARTY, it is undetectable by the dealer!! Excellent product. You can view details at madselectronics.com, PM me or BOB WAGNER for price.

·
Mafia #42
3,646 Posts
yeah from what I have read on here banks isn't close to good. He is a master of advertising and that is why he sells. Smarty's are really good because they can't be detected by the dealer if you need warranty work, and can make mad power once you load up a good tune. Gauges will absolutley be needed, as will a trans. shortly, if you plan on running higher hp settings more frequently.

·
274 Posts
I cannot say enough bad things about banks! I made the mistake 2 years ago and bought a 98-02 power pack for my truck, and thought there was something wrong with the chip and ended up sending it back to them because the truck wasnt getting any extra fuel until 2500 RPM and was only building 21 psi on boost pressure and it never came close to the 145 extra hp that they advertised. I cannot tell you or anyone else enough that you should stay away from banks, they overcharge people and their products are garbage. You can make more power with half the money that you would spend on the banks. I just wish I would have been on here before i bought that system to save myself some money and headaches. If i were you i'd listen to these guys they know what they're talking about.

·
Registered
19 Posts
All I know is what works for me. So far I've been very happy with the Bank's system. Maybe it comes down to luck or stupidity. Putting the chip in and roasting the tires to the cords or pulling a 30,000 pound toy hauling 5th wheel over the continental divide 6 times a month and not having issues is a little much to expect. Met some jackass in Reno doing the toy hauler part and Dodge replaced about every part but his friggin' crankshaft. My truck tows my properly loaded trailer without fail and passes people like a jet fighter and pulls like a mule kicked in the balls.

I don't know the final answer. Who does? Banks works for me, works for others out there, and was easy to install by me and my idiot buddies. Does all I need it to.

Sincerely,

Norm

:RTFM:

·
Mafia #42
3,646 Posts
That may very well be Norm, in some cases, like yours, people are satisfied with what it does for them, but there are other people that look for something a little better, or they see things like what smarty's do for trucks and switch immediately. Like I said, for some its great, but for others it doesn't even cut it.

·
148 Posts
My truck has the Edge w/ Attitude, works great. I've got a friend thats been using the Edge for a long time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replys, think Im going to get the Smarty. It seems Im hearing issues with the tranny I understand when you up the horsepower you need to upgrade the tranny. But seems like there are issues with the stock tranny. I have had 4 ford powerstrokes and never had tranny issues just engine issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts