The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 months ago I had to buy an altenator, put it on. Then my battery light on my dash started flashing, replaced all terminals on both batteries b/c they were crappy looking and thought that would take care of the problem. Then my statrer went out, got another starter, put that crazy thing on. Everything was ok for about a week. Now, once again the batteries are not charging!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where do I look first? And please remember I'm doing this myself :) :help

·
928 Posts
Are you sure they gave you the right aternator? Also, sometimes when an alternator goes bad it can damage the cells in the batteries so they might not be holding a charge. How old are they?

Double check the battery cables, make sure none of your new parts came loose, the connections have to be tight.

For a cheap diagnosis take it to an Advance Auto, Auto Zone or someplace like that where they will come out in the parking lot and check your batteries and alternator.

·
282 Posts
Often the hot wire to the top of the alternator corrodes under the heat shrink. Might check your grounds and make sure they are tight.

·
BODEY
107 Posts
yeah,agreed with what they said. But i have went through 3 rebuilt alternators before i found a good one . ( if you put a remanufactured one on). there is alot of crap reman stuff out there. good luck let us know what you find.:)

·
BODEY
107 Posts
Danm. Should of knocked on wood, I just replaced a three month old alternator in my wifes audi. Its a six hour job to doit, I had to pull the whole front end off.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts