The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The Oracle
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys

well my batteries hae been geting weaker and then today with the cold that rolled in....they quit......

jumped it and got it running...

gonna get two new batteries tomorow....what should i go with....optima? NAPA replacement? Ford?....

any advice would be good...its a daily driver.....(wich i sometimes forget to plug in at night now that its cold...so it see's quite a bit of cranking)...no extra lights or anything....

thanks
~Tim

·
2,509 Posts
I like interstate bateries, but any of the name brand bateries will be fine, I'm not sure if the optima bateries are worth the extra cost other than for safty in some aplications, the way I understand it there drycell so you dont have to worry about acid spills.
any way just don't go and buy the cheepest bateries you can find, it takes a lot juce to turn these engines over on a cold morning.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
an exide 31 batteries are good , i have seen alot of interstate batteries go bad way too quick, deka batteries a really good , u see alot of them in commercial applications but they do make batteries for just about anything,
there about 80 bucks a piece

·
282 Posts
I got the duralast golds from autozone. I heard they were close to the top of the list for batteries. I think it is like a 3 year replacement warranty. So far great batteries!
Good luck,
Steven

·
1,726 Posts
I bought 2 Everstart Extremes from Wal-Mart for my truck. I think there made by Excide. There pretty cheap and I have had pretty good luck with them. Also if they ever do go bad there are Wal-Marts all over the country and no questions if it's bad.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Having operated (as a manager with fiscal responsibility) fleets ranging from 70 to over 1,000 units, I would NEVER buy an Ex!&e battery. We failed every one we installed in under 24 months.

We had very good luck with Interstate, Motorcraft (Johnson Controls), Deka, and Day Starter batteries. Of those, the Deka and Day Starter batteries had the fewest problems over 5 years. I routinely see Ford/Motorcraft batteries lasing 5-8 years, and a few even 10. All those are actually MANUFACTURERED by Johnson Controls. The models of Motorcraft batteries that we see many failures in (the small RH side ones for diesels) are supplied by Johnson Controls to Ford, but are made by someone else (Ex!&e).

·
1,854 Posts
don't buy carquest ones! i bought mine with them in and they lasted about 18 months. Interstate is my brand of choice, i will not run anything else

·
TDG Mafia Member #25
1,451 Posts
Whole fleet has the 1000amp wally world batteries. Love the 3 year no questions anyplace in the country warranty.

Adrianspeeder

·
203 Posts
My batteries died this morning also.:itsdead It still had the original batteries in it (dated 11/99) I'm going to replace them with Motorcraft or Interstate. Motorcrafts are about $93 ea.Haven't checked on Interstates yet.I just wish they would of lasted another 7 years!:bang

·
The Oracle
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well they were dead again this morning so i just went down the street to NAPA and got 2 of the NAPA Gold75's 1040 CA / 880 CCA...better than the 2year old exide's that were rated 900 CA / 770 CCA

~Tim

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
You just bought two more Ex!&#s!

·
The Oracle
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
napa's are made by exide? D*mn it! I thought they were interstate....oh well there in now...

·
Super Moderator
1,777 Posts
Holy battery timing!:damnit

Mine died yesterday. I knew they were getting weak, but they finally failed. Oh well, they were the original Motorcrafts. I feel they served their duty!!:sly: But I ended up at Wally World for mine. About $72 each. I have used almost all brands of batteries, with odd failures along the way, but I figured I'd give these a try.:Thumbup:

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
i have had good luck with wally world batteries

·
Registered
624 Posts
just my .02 but i like to be able to trust my batteries and i will only buy optima they have never left my stranded the yellow tops are best for diesels(my buddy has an 01 and running optimas and lives in the mountains of montana and his pick up always starts) Its cheap insurance to buy a better battery

1 - 16 of 16 Posts