The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stereo in my truck that consists of an amp and several speakers. When ever im at the barn working im tempted to just turn my key back and turn it up, but im allways scared its gonna drain my batteries. Will it and if so is there some batteries that i can get that will handle this? with out getting auxilery.

·
2,106 Posts
You should already have two 1000 amp batteries in the truck, you should be fine.

I have an amp and sub in my truck too and have had the radio on while working for at least six hours before with no problem. I do turn the sub down though.

It will be harder on older batteries, new ones last longer.

·
812 Posts
i have 2 optima red tops, and i have a sub and amp and i can leave it on for an hour or more and still start great

·
TDG Mafia Member #82
1,092 Posts
joebob3093 said:
i have 2 optima red tops, and i have a sub and amp and i can leave it on for an hour or more and still start great

i dont have a stero but i do have 2 red top optimas and they are by far the best !

F

·
0 Posts
I worried about the same thing, so I put the amp on a switch. I also listen to Howard Stern, he has alot of bass in his show, so it helps to be able to turn off the amp for that also.

·
TDG Single Club Member#14
1,086 Posts
yeah i've listened to howard stern and bubba the love sponge for 8 hours without ever starting my truck and i have an amp

·
161 Posts
i have 3 subs and door speakers with a amp and i turn mine all the way up for the tailgating at concerts and let it play for 4-5 hrs at a time and it still will start right up. i had a problem with the batteries dying within 2 hrs and it turned out they both had bad cells. so turn it up and if you are worried get jumper cables

·
Registered
134 Posts
i've used optima's in almost every truck i've owned, especially when they had systems and off-road lights. i swear by them, but they are a little pricey depending on where you get them and what kind(red top or yellow). i recommend them if your electrical system has a lot of stuff drawing off it, but at least go with a good brand of battery with plenty of amps. preferably a gel cell though.

·
2,106 Posts
First off.... Running your batteries down to the point of needing a jump is bad for them, they won't last as long the more it happens. Of course some are willing to live with that. Trade-offs.

I thought I had heard once that gel-cell batteries were good to use with diesels... Something about how slow they bounce back after a big drain like starting, and we all know the diesels take a lot of power to start. I could very well be wrong on this one.

·
Registered
293 Posts
99StrokerDude is right that draining and restoring batteries is very hard on them. That said, a deep cycle or mixed use battery might be a better choice. The Optima Red Tops are starting batteries, the Yellow Tops are mixed use and the Blue Tops are marine-deep cycle. Their site recommends Yellow Tops for people running loads of electronics in their cars. I have used Blues in my boat both for starting and trolling and can't even come close to draining them. One critical thing is to not let a discharged battery sit for extended periods of time. Get them charged back up as soon as is feasible.

·
Diesel Mafia #67
11,283 Posts
Go to up toyour local interstate battery store and buy a MTP-65

·
JUCK FEEP
367 Posts
99StrokerDude said:
First off.... Running your batteries down to the point of needing a jump is bad for them, they won't last as long the more it happens.
Yellow tops will take this kind of abuse over and over BUT when drained down and left for long periods of time (esp cold) they die. Ask me how I know :damnit

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
Had a Yellow Top in my F-150, and that had over 1000 watts cranking down on it for hours at a time, and it'd always start back up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts