The Diesel Garage banner

Battery cables

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  IdahoF350 
#1 ·
Since the dealer wants $175+ for new ones,I am going to build my own.Who here has done it?I would like some suggestions for what gauge wire & what kind of connectors you used,Mostly I need input on some good cable ends that hook to the battery,I want it to last,thanks.BTW this is for the positive cables..

#3 ·
I bought a complete positive set from Napa. They have worked fine for me.

#5 ·
You can have cables made also. Talk to battery suppliers like Interstate, and independent battery retailers/rebuilders. Those guys will know if there is anyone in your area that can do it for you. We had a set made the the F-550 service truck I used to run, they we're build using 00 cable and had proper terminals installed.

Once you get new cables, clean and size all the posts on your batteries, give them a good wash down with a paper towel and dome distilled water, dry them off, install the cables, don't over tighten the terminals. Then get an acid/flux brush and some synthetic grease. Paint the exterior surfaces of the terminals and posts with a light coating of grease, don't leave any exposed lead or bolt, and go slightly onto the cable insulation. This will prevent corrosion from starting by preventing acid and oxygen from attacking the terminals. Works amazingly well for a .50 cent investment and 5 minutes. Also prevents acid and water and oxygen from entering the crimp of the terminal and starting to oxidize the cable itself internally.

Sent by my right thumb!

Reactions: dbennett48
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.