The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,
i have a 88 f350 diesel (7.3 idi non turbo) auto with about 180k on it. i have owned this truck for a few weeks now and never had a problem till earlier today. It has both brand new battery's that i replaced when i bought it. But i was driving the truck without any problems at all today when all the sudden it felt like as if the tranny wanted to downshift 1 or 2 times quickly in a row, followed right after buy a loss of all power and the engine stalled. I pulled the truck over and tried to start it 2 or 3 times with no luck and 1 time even trying to use starter fluid that i had laying around in the truck. Nothing at all not even a sputter, just kept turning over (the tank is full of diesel i filled it this morning). I also noticed the negative cable smoked a little bit when trying to crank the engine over. If you touched the negative battery cable it was warm to the touch. Which is not good period.
Do i have a bad ground somewhere? Could it not be starting due to a low battery charge? If anyone had some pointers of what or where to check or even tell me where the stock ground points are at so i can re run all new ground cables to the battery. help is greatly appreciated on this matter.

·
721 Posts
If it died while driving and you were able to "crank" the engine your batteries would appear to be fine. I would look into the fuel system.

·
1,836 Posts
If it cranked at normal speed the warm battery terminal indicates that it needs service there but it is not likely the cause of stopping.

More electrical problems on old trucks - check for voltage on the fuel solenoid at the fuel pump. If you have voltage, crack the IP supply line to check for fuel delivery or disconnect the return line to check fuel flow from the lift pump.

Smoke from a battery terminal is often the cause of slow cranking and a danger to the starter and alt. so I would start with CORRECT service on the battery connections to include cable ends.

·
721 Posts
With the starting fluid something should have happened. Is there fuel at your filter? Your description of how it died is classic for being out of "fuel".

·
1,836 Posts
If the ether does not make a pop it is rolling to slow or the valve timing is off ( jumped timing chain, broken part)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts