The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Battery light came on this morning. Went to have the batteries tested for free at auto part store and found out the alt. was bad at 68,000 miles?

·
186 Posts
It's possible, but I haven't read of very many alternator issues so it would seem a bit unusual. Be sure to test well before replacing an expensive part like that.

·
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
600 bucks later all fixed wow the most expensive alt. I have ever had. Of coarse it is fords labor also but only because the local auto parts could not get me the part for four days and I need the truck for work so bit the bullet and went to ford I got them down from 750

·
TDG Mafia Member #25
1,447 Posts
Oh snap, that is some coin right there. What was the Ford price for the part? Makes me like the dual alt setup on the 7.3L for sure.

Adrianspeeder

·
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure but was too much I was not happy that the local auto parts place couldn't get me the part for 2 days so I was stuck going to Ford

·
80 Posts
just fyi....dual alt were avalible as an order item on my 2008 250 so I ordered it with dual alt for $ 60.00 more.

·
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guess I forgot to check that one off when I ordered mine but then it would be a grand if those went bad

·
1,324 Posts
It's after the damage but I wonder if any local alt/starter shop could have rebuilt it? That is highway robbery. Hell you could have bought a 1000 watt generator for that price. I mean really an alternator is a pretty simple component. :bdh

·
TDG Mafia Member #25
1,447 Posts
just fyi....dual alt were avalible as an order item on my 2008 250 so I ordered it with dual alt for $ 60.00 more.
Ah, cool they still do that. Never had a problem with my 7.3L's yet, but nice to know that truck will still make it home with a single failure.

Had to take the stick that was on the lot for my 6.4L ride.

Adrianspeeder

·
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It helps I guess to have dual batteries because I do lawns for a living and start and stop the truck all day long and worked all day and had the truck fixed at the end of the day with no charging and the truck didn't miss a beat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts