The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I don't know much about those. I do know Optima batteries are suppose to have 3 strong cells where the posts are and 3 weak cells in the back. According to Audio gue-rues.

·
Official TDG Doctor
5,281 Posts
Optima's are the shiznit!!! We have them on our boat and they are totally awsome! A tad bit more, but I trust you, they work great!

Nathaniel

B

·
0 Posts
For what they cost you can not beat the Ever-Start Max batteries in the yellow case from Wal-Mart. I have had them in two Dodge/Cummins trucks now and have had no problems. My current set is 4 years old and going strong. My neighbor has them in his Dodge and I run them in multiple tractors. They have a 3 year free replacement warranty and I believe a 7 or 8 year pro rated warranty. The batteries are about $75 a piece.

I have had bad expereinces with Optima. The one on my camper will not hold a charge anymore and is only 2 years old. A firend has some in his Dodge and they are going bad after only 3 years. A battery that cost what they do should last a lot longer than that.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Bouncer said:
For what they cost you can not beat the Ever-Start Max batteries in the yellow case from Wal-Mart. I have had them in two Dodge/Cummins trucks now and have had no problems. My current set is 4 years old and going strong. My neighbor has them in his Dodge and I run them in multiple tractors. They have a 3 year free replacement warranty and I believe a 7 or 8 year pro rated warranty. The batteries are about $75 a piece.

I have had bad expereinces with Optima. The one on my camper will not hold a charge anymore and is only 2 years old. A firend has some in his Dodge and they are going bad after only 3 years. A battery that cost what they do should last a lot longer than that.
You must be having luck with Walmart. Any parts store is going to sell you a better battery than Walmart. At the same price and warrenty.

B

·
0 Posts
Phily 911 said:
You must be having luck with Walmart. Any parts store is going to sell you a better battery than Walmart. At the same price and warrenty.
I am sure you know that batteries are like tires. A handfull of companies make all them for everyone. Most all the plates for the name brand batteries are made in the town I live in. Just like anything else, you can pay extra for that name or you can pay less for the same thing in generic form.

Not saying there is not another one out there, but can you tell me who else offers a 3 year free replacement warranty?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Everyone has a 3 year warrenty. Johnson controls makes all the batteries you are right. But they will build them to different specs. Kind of like Champion Labs and oil filters.

B

·
0 Posts
This might clear things up a little.

Most auto batteries are made by just three manufacturers, Delphi, Exide, and Johnson Controls Industries. Each makes batteries sold under several different brand names.

Delphi makes ACDelco and some EverStart (Wal-Mart) models. Exide makes Champion, Exide, Napa, and some EverStart batteries. Johnson Controls makes Diehard (Sears), Duralast (AutoZone), Interstate, Kirkland (Costco), Motorcraft (Ford), and some EverStarts

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
I've heard a lot about Optima batteries...

But since they are sealed batteries I wonder about maintenance...

Like I've got a 1,000# of lead acid batteries here in the house for power. Producing 750 A/hr worth of power. These batteries are over 10 years old now and not a problem with them... But I've got to put in at least 4-5 gallons of distilled water every 6 months. This is standard maintenance.

My point is that I wonder how the Optima's keep from venting gasses and the water content out of the batteries... Anytime a battery is place under hard loads or high charge rates it will boil. At this point it starts venting Hydrogen gases.

:shrug:

·
Da Bomb Squad!
57 Posts
odyssey are military grade ...nuf' said

·
Official TDG Doctor
5,281 Posts
Right now I run EverStarts on mine b/c my batteries completly died at about 1030 this January as I was trying to leave work and Walley World was the only place open. As of now they work fine, but I am so pleased w/ the Optima I think I may get them the next time...

Nathaniel

1 - 16 of 16 Posts