The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed my truck is starting harder than it used to. I recently took it in for service and they replaced the EGR asssembly, throttle position sensor, and three glow plugs (All under warranty since it is only 93,000 miles young).. My question is it still seems slow starting when compared to other 6.0 engines I use at work (The equipment at work fires on the first turnover where my truck will take 3-4 even when warm) I am nitpicking because it runs fine... My question is I have considered replacing the batteries even though they are in th green (Bubblewise) but I want to know if it will make a difference. :popcorn:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
15/40 This time I used Motorcraft usually I use Rotella but I don't think it's any different. It does turnover slow so the next logical question..... Which batteries?

·
511 Posts
get them load tested at autozone and if they are bad get some interstates

·
345 Posts
when they did the work on mine they forgot to plug the alt. back in so over 2 weeks the batteries got very low...I dont drive it very much so it took a while. plugged it back in and charged the batteries and all is good.

·
345 Posts
not sure why this posted twice?

·
Registered
118 Posts
my o4 350 was getting hard starting this last month. a new set of 950 cca batterys cured that problem. i use shell rotellaT synthetic and it spins right over at =15,,bbrrr. i have been using synthetic ubes and grease in everything for over 30 years and there is a difference. these engines need 20 psi oil pressure before the will fire. old battrys that dont spin the engine fast enough will cause a no start.

·
356 Posts
My truck has always taken 3-4 rotations before starting. I had a 7.3 before this one and it would start on the first try. In the mornings mine will start after 3-4 and then immediately die and then it will start and run fine from that point on. She stays in a climate controlled garage as well as plugged in to make her run correctly after she starts. Not sure what is causing all of this yet. Have you changed your fuel filters lately? Not sure if that could be your problem but you never know.

Scott

·
310 Posts
the cranking speed lide fred said is key, i also went to 950 cca batteries, and i run 5-40 dello synthetic oil, mine starts great

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks I think I will upgrade my batteries with a higher CCA maybe Optima??? Yikes!! Thanks everybody. :)

·
310 Posts
if you get the optima, ive been told that the charging sytem on vehicles charges to high of amps and the optimas dont last, i have personaly went through 6 on my mustang before someone at the parts store told me this

·
29 Posts
My 06, 250 take about 3 cranks as well even when warm.
I am getting ready for some electronics installs, (invertor, amp for stereo, FRS radio and off road spots) I was concerned about the load on the system even though I have dual alternators. Should I drop another bank in and isolate them?
Thoughts?

Good info on the optimas I love them for my boat and would have made that mistake.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts