The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a BD Performance exhaust brake (2001100) for my 08 6.4. I was looking over the instructions to install it, and learned that you must tap into the brake light switch wire, intercept the brake pressure switch, intercept the tow haul switch, and intercept the VGT actuator plug.

I cannot find any literature regarding how this works, other than on switch position 1 it is just the VGT, and switch position 2 activates aggressive downshifting as well (basically what the tow/haul mode does).

This is going on an automatic trans pickup. My assumption is that will work on switch position 1 by locking up the torque converter and adjusting the variable vane position, without having to touch the brake pedal. If one must be pushing on the brake pedal to use this, rather than just let off of the throttle, then I do not want to install it.

Does anybody have one installed, and if so how does it work and how do you like it?

Thanks

·
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I spoke to the BD folks yesterday, and they said that the brake light wire is just a trigger to activate the tow haul mode when tow haul has not been activated via the button on the gear shift. The brake does not need to be depressed to use the VGT, and brake lights are not illuminated.

Going to install it this weekend.

·
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Installed it today, and took it for a little test run.

On position 1 the retarding capabilities are barely noticeable, but it is working as you can see the fluctuation on the exhaust back pressure gauge.

Position 2 works very well, and downshifts sooner that it did with just tow haul mode. I think that it will be most effective in higher RPMs.

I will be going over a 10% pass tomorrow and will be able to give it a better test. I just drove around on the flats today.

·
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, it works well in higher RPM's and is worth the money in my opinion if one travels alot of steep country, and especially if towing.

Position 2 activates the brake lights every time you let off the throttle. I disconnected the wire going to the brake lights, and will use it in tow haul mode when needed so that it does not overaggresively downshift before I touch the brake pedal.

·
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I disconnected the brake wire and all is well.....except that now it will throw a brake switch code and prevent the cruise control from working. Cleared the code and reconnected the brake wire, but will only use it on position 1.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts