The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
26 tires rolling
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I usually hang out in the MDT/HDT forums here but I have a Dmax question so I figured this was the place to come.

My buddy just purchased a new horse trailer and is pulling it with his 07 CC 4x4 DRW, LB Chevy Dmax Allison.

His trailer is a TANK its a 6 horse bloomer truck and trailer weigh in @28,XXX lbs.

First trip coming down the grapevine loaded he went for the brakes and he says the whole front end of the truck started shaking violently. He had to go for trailer brakes to reign in some momentum.

what to you guys recommend to beef this thing up a bit for this kind of duty for the time being. he looked into getting an MDT but with the current credit situation no one would give him financing even with 15% down on a $100,000 hauler.

are the SSBC calipers worth the money considering he's going to have to buy 6 new wheels and tires? 19.5"s and calipers are going to be over $5grand.

I Don't know ***** about the D-max so anything you guys could help me with would be great.

Also I'm sure with this weight the Allison is being taxed pretty well any recommended upgrades for the transmission?

Also what programing do you recommend to better calibrate the tow haul mode for actually doing something to control down hill speeds? He's fairly local to PPE in so-cal so anything they would be a preferential source for tuning and upgrades.

thanks in advance.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
a suncoast stage 3 or stage 4 trans kit, as for the allison programming, maybe check out Ingelwood transmissions, he's in Cali somewhere, maybe one of the other members can help you out there

as for the brakes i have no clue what so ever

·
26 tires rolling
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I take it Inglewood transmission is the Go to.

he really doesn't need more power just needs to keep the wheels turning and stop them when the need arises.

·
Administrator
12,738 Posts
Look into a PacBrake, and since you are in Cali. I would take it to Inglewood if he is going to get the tranny done.

Lot's of guys pulling big LQ trailers in the south with the same truck, but we don't have the grades you guys out west do.

IMO, he needs to go to a MD, even if it's a late model FL, we had an '03 (right before they went to the M series). Never looked back for pulling our horses. We were pulling a 52' Jamco, loaded alot heavier than his, but even with our 36' head to head it was much easier than taking the risks with a one ton.

Attachments

·
26 tires rolling
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He really does need an MDT. unfortunately no on will give him financing on acceptable terms.

A used 330 peterbilt was $1,500 a month with 15K down for 5 years. leaving zero money in the bank for a break down.

looking for a nice late model international with a DT570 but until then we gotta make this one work.

back in 2000 when my F-350 was new it did the same job for 100K without fail.

the main concern on this D-max is the brakes suck, it eats the front side of the hills up like candy, but puckers your buthole coming down the backside.

If he can get this thing to stop safely then the other pieces can fall in line.

·
26 tires rolling
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The trailer has electric over hyd. disk brakes on 10K axles with 17.5" Michelin's on Alcoa single wheels.

Probably the only reason he didn't put $400,000 worth of truck trailer and horses in the runaway truck ramp.

I think a max brake or a break smart should be his first investment.

A friend of ours can get us banks products at cost, do you think it would be in his best interest to get a banks brake installed, or is the pac brake a better unit.

Like I said I don't know $hine about the D-max platform im just trying to keep this thing reliable till he gets a real truck to pull this thing.

·
26 tires rolling
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh and how accurate is the Stock chevy trans temp guage?

·
Administrator
12,738 Posts
A friend of ours can get us banks products at cost, do you think it would be in his best interest to get a banks brake installed, or is the pac brake a better unit.
That is your buddies call, maybe some can chime in from experience. I will be buying one this year, and I am going with PacBrake.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
If it were me i would be going with PacBrake.. but im not a big fan of banks... however if you can get the products for cost then maybe that could be the way to go..

·
1,705 Posts
I have an 03 3500 D-Max and gross as much as 44,000lbs. I try to stay under 36,000 GVW but sometimes I get heavy. I do not have any suggestions on brakes cause mine suck too. I have a Pac-Brake sitting here ready to install once I get my 5" exhaust here.
I personally would run a tuner of some kind,a Pac-Brake,4" or 5" exhaust,a good intake to help it breathe and some 19.5"s. As much as Furds suck I do like their brakes.
I wish I could put some medium duty brakes on it and 19.5"s on mine. 19.5"s are coming if I don' find a medium duty to trade for.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
If the front end began to shudder, you might think it has something to do with the way the trailer was loaded. Maybe the trailer brakes are too strong or set too weak.

I agree on the pacbrake. The tranny temp gauge is proportional, like older style gauges, not an idiot gauge.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts