The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bought a wrecked 08 that I have the cab off of. I was thinking about taking off the egr coolers while Im there. What are the benefits of this over jsut shutting off the egr valve with spartan Thought about studding it while im in there but not sure, where and how much on those. The truck still has warranty so that is really the only thing holding me back on these things.

·
Auto's are for pansies
2,117 Posts
Just removing the coolers is kinda half azz, you could do the block off plates much easier with the cab out of the way. If you wanted to delete the entire EGR system, that would be the time to do it...you'd get a little better performance, much less chance of coolant loss issues, and you get a wastegate. But it's expensive to do the full EGR delete, and if you want to keep the warranty option, well, have fun putting all that back on. With the full delete, you'd have to have the truck tuned to shut off the valve, and wouldn't be able to run lower tunes that don't have the valve turned off. Elite has the full EGR delete, Cobbs and others have the block off plates.

Studs would be a good idea since you're in there. Especially if you plan on tuning it or running it hard.

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
I did a search on egr deletes is why im pulling this post from the past! Lol any updates on this? Is the blockoff plate very beneficial? They're cheap enough! How hard instal? I know the motors are pretty stuffed under the hood so....?

Basically I'm about to get a used 08.. Already has s&b intake and I'm going to do livewire with IDP and 5" straight pipe dp back exhaust and just wondering if there's any other minor supporting mods good to do... Not wanting to go too crazy but anything to make little more reliable/run more efficient/better mpg... I know there's a ton of little things here and there on 6.0 to do and/or check to make sure running optimal...

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
i have one of those egr spools in my 6.0 right now... those work on 6.4s too?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts