The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the best cool air/intake system you have tried on your 7.3 trucks? given you the greatest HP/ torque gains as well as mpg

·
6,337 Posts
AFE Stage 2 WITHOUT the proguard...

·
TDG Mafia Member # 37
901 Posts
:iagree: :whs: Gene :mafia

·
SLAPS Treasurer
101 Posts
I really like my Tymar intake.

Chris

·
1,581 Posts
mxchase said:
whats the best cool air/intake system you have tried on your 7.3 trucks? given you the greatest HP/ torque gains as well as mpg
Hmm, lets see, where do I start?

The best intake for the 7.3L is the AIS.

HP gains are from increased fuel not airflow, more air just keeps the pistons from melting.

90% of mpg can be controlled by your right foot.

The 1st reason for buying an aftermarket intake for the 7.3L should be to rid yourself of the crappy stock housing that lets dirt bypass the filter.
After that, it depends on your plans for the truck, if it's a DD with mild mods the AIS is your #1 choice.
If your planning BIG hp mods then an open air filter like the Tymar/AFE would flow the most air.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Ditto on the Tymar.

·
Registered
204 Posts
everybody swears by the AFE Stage II, but i have the dry filter brute force. I have no complaints with it. hope this helps

·
Registered
239 Posts
AIS with fender sleeve no matter what Joe says...LOL

·
6,337 Posts
FireHunter said:
AIS with fender sleeve no matter what Joe says...LOL

LOL Too funny...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
firehunter...got a link?

also:

anyone have a high ram maniforld kit (either banks highram intake or like an ATS ARC FLOW?) benifits? gains?

·
6,337 Posts
mxchase said:
firehunter...got a link?

also:

anyone have a high ram maniforld kit (either banks highram intake or like an ATS ARC FLOW?) benifits? gains?
On a 7.3? Dont know where you would put it... You need the Y pipe to hit both sides?

The AIS is a ford upgrade, check some of the sponsers ( I think defuser ((SP?)) sells it?)

But I would go with the AFE Stage 2... you cant really outgrow the stage 2... You can the ais...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Here you go with a link for the AIS with fender sleeve

Sponsors...I looked through most of your sites and did not see it anywhere???

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i mean one of these type of things

ATS sells one called the ARC flow

and banks sells this one: http://www.bankspower.com/products.cfm

(scoll down to where it says: Banks Techni cooler intercooler system) see the little red thing?

i think its for air returning from the inter cooler.

·
6,337 Posts
mxchase said:
i mean one of these type of things

ATS sells one called the ARC flow

and banks sells this one: http://www.bankspower.com/products.cfm

(scoll down to where it says: Banks Techni cooler intercooler system) see the little red thing?

i think its for air returning from the inter cooler.

Not going to work on the 7.3, they have a Y pipe that splits it after the IC....

The 6.0, 5.9, 6.6 all have a colector after the IC so the "arc flow" and such work for them... THere is not one for the 7.3

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh, okay, thanks for explaining...anything at all like that for 7.3s or no? eventually going to get a turbonetics intercooler and maybe tbo

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
also, was i right that its for the air returning from the Intercooler?

·
6,337 Posts
mxchase said:
also, was i right that its for the air returning from the Intercooler?

Yes your right. There is no upgrade part like that for the 7.3.... You can do a H2e turbo that has a diferant Y pipe... but otherwise you got what ya got...

·
1,581 Posts
There are "high rise" aluminum intake manifolds for the 7.3L but they just even out the flow between the cylinders.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts