The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to spend about $500 on my early 99 F250 PSD 4x4 for performance mods. Performance wise, my truck is stock except for a K+N filter(in stock air box) and semi-straight through exhaust (no muffler, but with stock cat) Where would my money be best spent for a noticable overall performance gain? It just seems a little sluggish. The truck has 157k on it, is a daily driver and must remain reliable, as my job depends on it. Thanks for any suggestions

·
1,854 Posts
Start with Tymar intake, Lose the muffler and maybe get a 4" exhaust system. Then work your way up from there.

Gauges
Chip
Injectors
Turbo
Big Oil

But remember that the tranny needs to be beefed up as well or the clutch if its a manual

·
Slow 6.0
1,554 Posts
your best dollar per horsepower/torque is going to come from a chip. since you have an early 99 id suggest upgrading to a NVK or PMT coded computer. DP-Tuner can sell you one with the tune of your choice, the 80 Econo works really well with an early 99, anything larger then that is going to really tax the HPOP. for 500 you could get the better computer and a 2 program chip from them. www.dp-tuner.com

·
Slow 6.0
1,554 Posts
circle5 said:
Start with Tymar intake, Lose the muffler and maybe get a 4" exhaust system. Then work your way up from there.

Gauges
Chip
Injectors
Turbo
Big Oil

But remember that the tranny needs to be beefed up as well or the clutch if its a manual
im not sure if you really read his original post, he already has the muffler taken out and stated 500 dollars for future upgrades so a turbo, oil, & injectors are out of the question

·
1,581 Posts
1. Lose the stock airbox/K&N and get an AIS from Ford for engine longevity.

2. Get gauges!!!

3. Lose the cat

4. Call Jody at DP Tuner for a flip chip, keep it under 80hp for transmission longevity.

5. Install Sonnex/Tricummulator kit in VB and 6.0L tranny cooler, replace steel lines with 1/2" hose (front to rear) and remove the transmission fluid bypass assembly.

It'll cost a little more than $500 but I wouldn't leave anything off the list.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts