The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am interested in a cold ait intake setup and was wanting sum suggestions on what to buy. also what improvements did you see? mpg,hp,ect.,ect. :horsey:

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
Right here..
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002%20Dodge/BOMBS/bhaf/bhaf.htm

So far I not seen a single aftermarket product that can reduce the air temp any colder than a BHAF and a Heatshield... Reason being is that fact remains that the coolant is heating the head... Hence the intake mainfold of the head is heating the air. So typically I see +40*F over outside temps... Regardless of stock air box, BHAF, AFe, etc... They all are the same in performance when comes to the temp at the IAT sensor. (This information verified with a ScanGauge II)

ScanGauge II
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002%20Dodge/BOMBS/scangauge2/scangauge2.htm

The IAT sensor controls the grid heaters, fuel amount, timing, etc... So if your thinking of moving the IAT sensor out of the head it will not be able to see the temp change from the grid heater... Hence the grid heater come on more often and stay on longer...

As for filtation and restriction... There is a lot of testing and conversy about which filter filters the best and has the least amount of restriction... I look at it this way... Take the filter minder out of the stock air box and suck on the end of it. Take notice a human can draw the minder disk all the way down... This is really light vacuum it measures... So if at 381/826 or 379/831 and 3 years (60K miles now! :wow) later my filter minder hasn't moved I gather that BHAF is doing the job just fine... I don't have to wash it, I don't have to blow it out, I don't even bother with the outwears filter... It just works...:Thumbup:

As for EGT it reduced the temp a bit but nothing much since the air temp in the head is always about +40*F over outside temps.

As for fuel mileage there really isn't a change... Since the air temp really didn't change nor did the restriction. (Common driving) You'll notice better spooling of the turbo and better top end power... (High performance)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts