The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Joined
·
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys lookin for a chip for a friend he had an edge evo and hates it i got his bro a ts performance (great chip for price) from lipd and he loves it, vehicle in question is a 2000 7.3 liter excursion, budget is 500 bucks and he would like something with a good towing tune, economy tune, street and race, and then wont murder his tranny within weeks of owning it

whats your opinion?

Dp tuner?
another ts?
SCT?

Thanks guys
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
239 Posts
I would say DP just because I am familiar with them and I know they are experienced with Excursions. I know that can meet that budget too.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
4,247 Posts
SCT or risk the trans.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
No tranny worry with a DP, he will program the tranny perfectly.

I loved my 2002 with a DP 80 hp with additional TC lockup pressure (banged the TC in like another shift)

MattyMx runs my old computer in his wifes truck, power is great and mileage was 20 mpg highway bobtailing, always hand computed and it would roast the tires AND pull 10K on the bumper without ever getting hot

If you talk to Jody at DP, ask him about Ross Bullocks QLJ5/PMT1, he tweaked it a couple times and it was absolutely wonderful when finished, I bet he still has the file saved

MATTY chime in on your opinion
 

·
Dieselis' Maximus
Joined
·
1,744 Posts
^^ Word on the F5, when i get back im sending my stuff off to get retuned by Jody. The one bad part will be having to wait for it to come back. driving an untuned truck feels like wagon being pulled by snails.
 

·
TDG Mafia Member #73
Joined
·
1,003 Posts
My427stang said:
No tranny worry with a DP, he will program the tranny perfectly.

I loved my 2002 with a DP 80 hp with additional TC lockup pressure (banged the TC in like another shift)

MattyMx runs my old computer in his wifes truck, power is great and mileage was 20 mpg highway bobtailing, always hand computed and it would roast the tires AND pull 10K on the bumper without ever getting hot

If you talk to Jody at DP, ask him about Ross Bullocks QLJ5/PMT1, he tweaked it a couple times and it was absolutely wonderful when finished, I bet he still has the file saved

MATTY chime in on your opinion


I love it, the wife loves it. Jody really knows how to make a 7.3 run. Power is smooth and the injectors are far more quiet than stock. With only the 80 Econo tune, it is not the fastest truck with the hottest tune, but it is well worth it for what we use the EX for. MPG on a highway run to Havasu nets almost 20MPG on a lifted EX. I was following a big rig on a double yellow highway at 45MPH and just for kicks I reset the overhead console. At that speed it read 26MPG, Prety cool. I would do it again in a heartbeat.
I also have experience with SCT tunes from john Wood. his 7.3 tunes are great as well and he can send you more tunes via email. Do either and dont look back. You will get the best and be happy you got what you did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
506 Posts
I'd be calling Elite Diesel for a chip. Tadd can tune out what ever you need. I have a 6pos chip. Tadd has some of the highest hp and the safest tunes around.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
6,337 Posts
John_G said:
SCT or risk the trans.
John, I agree with you on the 6.0, but there is nothing special to the SCT on a 7.3 tranny wise. You can tune more into it on a chip then you can on a SCT. I love the SCT Xcal 2 but for a 7.3, go with a chip.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
6,337 Posts
marckluever said:
what is the differnce between the ts chip and the wildman custom chip

TS makes nearly all the chips that everyone sells (short of DP Tuner) Tony Wildman is one of the "tuners" that burns his programs onto a chip. Dennis is TS, Jody is DP, Tadd is Elite Diesel, David is DI, Cale is BTS...

Some people rave about Tony, I had issues but some trucks are weird. Tadd has always come thru for me great, same for my wife too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
CSIPSD said:
TS makes nearly all the chips that everyone sells (short of DP Tuner) Tony Wildman is one of the "tuners" that burns his programs onto a chip. Dennis is TS, Jody is DP, Tadd is Elite Diesel, David is DI, Cale is BTS...

Some people rave about Tony, I had issues but some trucks are weird. Tadd has always come thru for me great, same for my wife too.
so what would be a better chip for me. i do hot shot delivery. i have a 2002 psd that was just rebuilt. i have and stage 1 afe, 4in exhuast, guages, just ordered fluidmpr and mag diff. cover. also thinking about ats ported shroud. darrell at dpp is telling me about the wildman chip.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,726 Posts
marckluever said:
what is the differnce between the ts chip and the wildman custom chip
Biggest difference is that TS chips are typically off the shelf type programs. I'm not saying you cant get custom ones but MOST are a generic program.

Tony's chips are always customized to your specific application at the standard price for the chip. It doesn't matter much if you have the typical intake and exhaust mods but if you have more mods then custom tuning can get you a little of a gain. Also Tony will work with work with the tuning on your chip untill you are 100% satisfied (i.e. a little shift tweak here or there) again at no extra charge.

By the way, the tow tunes that Tony has on my chip right now I don't even have to look at the EGT gauge. I have to really be reaming the crap out of it to get to 1200. I think I am going to get some higher HP tow tunes :evil:
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
6,337 Posts
marckluever said:
so what would be a better chip for me. i do hot shot delivery. i have a 2002 psd that was just rebuilt. i have and stage 1 afe, 4in exhuast, guages, just ordered fluidmpr and mag diff. cover. also thinking about ats ported shroud. darrell at dpp is telling me about the wildman chip.

I would go with Tadd at Elite Diesel, or Jody at DP Tuner, if it were me. Infact for your application I would even suggest a SCT Xcal 2 because your going to spend 90% of your time in a good tow tune. Then you have the programmer for code reading, clearing and data streaming. The shift on the fly is nice, but with the loads you guys carry ( I see ya all the time on my jobs!) your going to be in a tow tune.

ATS housing is a good add, but how many miles are on the turbo? You might be better off adding a new turbo, rather then add money into a wore out. turbo...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,870 Posts
I agree with Joe here ^

The F5 is nice but I would opt for the SCT X cal2 if I didn't need to switch programs often.

The code reading/clearing/datalog ability is very useful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,154 Posts
There is also the New Edge Evolution II programmer that Edge just released if you are considering the programmer route. Jody can put his tunes on it. The same tunes that you will get on the F5 chip.

Diane
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,311 Posts
Another option is what I am running now on my 7.3L is the SCT Livewire. Standard tunes, and custom tunes, with added gauges. No need to send it in to update or add new tunes. Built in performance data, data logging and code reader. Multiple vehicle support (one at a time)

Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
657 Posts
marckluever said:
so what would be a better chip for me. i do hot shot delivery. i have a 2002 psd that was just rebuilt. i have and stage 1 afe, 4in exhuast, guages, just ordered fluidmpr and mag diff. cover. also thinking about ats ported shroud. darrell at dpp is telling me about the wildman chip.
I think you should just call Darrell and tell him you want the Shay package:poke: LOL
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
2,334 Posts
racehauler said:
Biggest difference is that TS chips are typically off the shelf type programs. I'm not saying you cant get custom ones but MOST are a generic program.

Tony's chips are always customized to your specific application at the standard price for the chip. It doesn't matter much if you have the typical intake and exhaust mods but if you have more mods then custom tuning can get you a little of a gain. Also Tony will work with work with the tuning on your chip untill you are 100% satisfied (i.e. a little shift tweak here or there) again at no extra charge.
the first part i disagree with. TS's name is all over 90% of these chips. and no company that i know of uses "off the shelf" tunes.. it just isnt smart on their part.. all chips ive ever delt with can be "common" or completely custom its this way or that. and i say COMMON and not off the shelf because i cant say i know a programmer that builds his tunes for a stock truck witch is what a off the shelf tune would be made for.. IE. the edge w/ attitute. im not here to bash tony or anything of the like but have you dealt with any other tuner before? i again dont know of a tuner that WOULDN'T tweek this or that to make a customer happy for free.. i know for a FACT jody will :thanks: btw for the tweeking at smoking last fall jodY!
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
862 Posts
moose99ps said:
the first part i disagree with. TS's name is all over 90% of these chips. and no company that i know of uses "off the shelf" tunes.. it just isnt smart on their part.. all chips ive ever delt with can be "common" or completely custom its this way or that. and i say COMMON and not off the shelf because i cant say i know a programmer that builds his tunes for a stock truck witch is what a off the shelf tune would be made for.. IE. the edge w/ attitute. im not here to bash tony or anything of the like but have you dealt with any other tuner before? i again dont know of a tuner that WOULDN'T tweek this or that to make a customer happy for free.. i know for a FACT jody will :thanks: btw for the tweeking at smoking last fall jodY!
The tunes definately make a difference. And from my experience Jody is awesome. Here's something to consider:

The other week I ran my truck at the track. Met up with a friend there with an '01 and similar performance mods but running a TS tuned chip. The differences between our trucks is that I'm heavier than him and I have a lift and 36" tires, so he has the height and weight advantage. I'm running the ball bearing turbo, he's using a van turbo. However boost numbers are pretty close. Most other engine mods are the same, and we are both running BTS trannys. His best time of the night was a 16.4 on the TS 125 hp setting. My IPR was failing (my truck even stalled out in the staging that night), so all I could run halfway decent was the DP-Tuner 80 hp setting, and still beat him with a 16.2.

He's getting live tuning later this summer with DP-Tuner. "nuff said"
 
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Top