The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Hotsauce2138
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys what is the best chip for the dmax lb7?

thnx

·
is here and there.
10,573 Posts
Sam, I think the PPE is the tuner of choice currently.

·
Hotsauce2138
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so like the sct for the 6.0 and the dp for 7.3?

·
1,409 Posts
"best" is relative. I use the PPE 'cuz I don't want to get into EFI right now. EFI is probably the closest to sct, you are able to write your own tunes and change just about everything. It can't be that hard to learn, I'm just not willing to spend the time on it right now. You can get tunes from other people w/o doing it yourself. I must say PPE makes a great product and they stand behind it.

·
0 Posts
ppe will build mad power... if u dont have a upgraded tranny its a bit hard on things my cousin has a ppe in his 04 duramax and the tranny slips real bad and im pretty sure it went into limp mode but the moral of the story is ppe kicks a** :smoke :smoke they definitely dont skip out on the smoke factor

·
TDG Junior Mafia #61
622 Posts
99_stroker* said:
ppe will build mad power... if u dont have a upgraded tranny its a bit hard on things my cousin has a ppe in his 04 duramax and the tranny slips real bad and im pretty sure it went into limp mode but the moral of the story is ppe kicks a** :smoke :smoke they definitely dont skip out on the smoke factor
:agreed:

·
3,939 Posts
The QM time in my sig is with a PPE Hot +2. As far as canned-tuners go, it is the best out there. Build the tranny first, though.

Yes, EFI is the best overall tuning TOOL, but tuning with EFI takes time and experimentation, so use it only if you have the time to invest in it.
Another option is to buy EFI tunes from a few different sources, too. Mcrat, RidgeRunner, DuramaxTuner, etc....

·
Hotsauce2138
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thnx guys

·
3,306 Posts
Hey guys, got a friend that has a '01 dmax with a allison tranny, with a 4" exhaust and a K&N intake system. He's looking into getting a chip for it and didn't know what to get. He was looking into the hypertech and the edge, but i kinda told him that those really aren't what he should getting. I'm thinking the PPE Xcellerator is probably the best way to go. This truck is a daily driver with a stock tranny and gets 20mpg. With the tranny being stock i was thinking about the 120 or 150hp Xcellerator, but nothing that makes more power than that cause he's not looking into getting ton's of power, just better MPG. Will one of these be OK with a stock allison tranny? Also, will these 120 or 150 Xcellerator programmers make the truck smoke alot?

·
1,409 Posts
strokin6L said:
Hey guys, got a friend that has a '01 dmax with a allison tranny, with a 4" exhaust and a K&N intake system. He's looking into getting a chip for it and didn't know what to get. He was looking into the hypertech and the edge, but i kinda told him that those really aren't what he should getting. I'm thinking the PPE Xcellerator is probably the best way to go. This truck is a daily driver with a stock tranny and gets 20mpg. With the tranny being stock i was thinking about the 120 or 150hp Xcellerator, but nothing that makes more power than that cause he's not looking into getting ton's of power, just better MPG. Will one of these be OK with a stock allison tranny? Also, will these 120 or 150 Xcellerator programmers make the truck smoke alot?
I would say if he is not planning on upgrading the tranny this one is about all it can handle: http://www.pacificp.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_35_29&products_id=12

Now without doing anything to the tranny the 120 might be pushing it, and I would definitely stay away from the 150. None of these tunes should smoke until you get up to the level 6 (250hp). There might be some affordable trans mods like a transgo jr./torque converter that will help. Personally I have seen the best mpg's from level one on the highway and in the city. PPE is probably the best off-the-shelf tuner you can get, well worth the $$. And you can always upgrade your tuner if someone gives you $5k to buy a new transmission!

·
Diesel Mafia #67
11,283 Posts
How well does the PPE work with a manual tranny? with a SBC hooking it to the ground? I really want to learn how to use EFI

·
925 Posts
blackcloudCTD95 said:
How well does the PPE work with a manual tranny? with a SBC hooking it to the ground? I really want to learn how to use EFI
If you really want to learn EFILive, my advice is to just dive into it. There are several individuals that can hook you up with a 500+ RWHP tune that also sell the software. Once you get the hang of things, it is very easy to use.

·
Registered
15 Posts
EFI isnt really that hard of a program to understand. you just need to take baby steps with it.

Jared

·
Registered
15 Posts
if you want a canned tuner just go with the PPE and keep it at lower levels and you will be fine. just make sure you have some sort of guages.

Jared

·
Registered
432 Posts
i like the efi live and u can do alot of stuff to ur truck with and u can tune ur truck different weather and alitude conditions if u want to race or pull Tony Burkhard has PPE custom tune and efi live on his truck Micheal Tomac has efi live with Kennedy Diesel tuning

1 - 16 of 16 Posts