The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a new trailer brake controller and want to know if people have a preference as to which brand is the best. I am thinking of getting a prodigy. It is self leveling. What are your thoughts?

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Toptech said:
I'm looking to buy a new trailer brake controller and want to know if people have a preference as to which brand is the best. I am thinking of getting a prodigy. It is self leveling. What are your thoughts?
I think they're the best plug & play controller. I have one and I like it, but I'll tell you one minor annoyance I have with mine - it rattles. When you're driving, the little plastic cover on the digital readout rattles- very annoying.

Some of the hard core models, like the Jordan & Maxbrake are a more involved install, but they're directly linked to the towing truck's braking system so they feel more tuned to the truck. http://www.brakecontroller.com/maxbrake.htm

If you're on a budget, check out the American made "Husky" brake controller. Have one in my dumptruck and it handles a 12 ton electric brake tag with no problems. It was like $60 bucks and looks/works great!

·
Registered
115 Posts
2 Time prodigy owner here. My PS has the P-3 in it and my F-150 has the old style prodigy. I'm only towing a 26' toyhauler and I've never weighed it so I don't know what I max out at.

·
3,754 Posts
tekonsha prodigy

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Prodigy and P3 controls are good, but we are finding the Odyssey series are better performers. With the Odyssey II coming out in March, it will be hard to top it among proportional style controls.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
I agree completely with Duke, a pressure sensing controller is the ONLY proper way to go.

Would you run air brakes in an "on/off" affair and think you could get smooth braking? Of course not, you need to modulate the trailer brake power to that of the tow vehicle. The only way to accurately do this is with a pressure sensing system. They are also not affected by grades, so you get consistant brake performance.

The only down side is that they cannot be trailer mounted for use with multiple controllerless tow vehicles.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Another vote for the prodigy.

·
Registered
116 Posts
another vote for prodigy . i have had it in 2 trucks now and love it . it works really smooth without jerking the trailer brakes .

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yup, Prodigy X2 in service in our trucks right now.

·
812 Posts
i have the voyager and it works just fine

·
Registered
308 Posts
OK, here's my .02- The Prodigy is the easiest to install because it does not require leveling- the other Tekonsha products like the Sentinel and Voyager do, so if the mounting location you are thinking of puts the controller at a weird off camber angle, go with the Prodigy. I have used all three, and there is little difference between them when they are properly installed, leveled, and adjusted. All three are proportional controllers.

My personal favorite is the Voyager, because it looks better and the controls are less likely to be bumped and messed with once they are set. It can be mounted from 20 deg. down to almost standing straight up and still be "leveled".

The biggest problem with brake controllers and the people who use them is that they are typically not adjusted properly. I see it constantly, and have been asked to replace several "crappy" controllers with a more expensive replacement, only to find that the person is happy with their existing controller once I get it adjusted properly and they are taught how to adjust it.

If you usually tow one trailer that doesn't change weight drastically, then you will rarley need to touch any controller once it's set. If you tow multiple trailers, or one that has drastic weight changes (cargo/flatbed,etc.), then you will be adjusting the controller more frequently. This is where you want to choose a controller based on the ease of adjustment while keeping one hand on the wheel and both eyes on the road.

That is why I prefer the Voyager. the control wheels are big, on opposite sides of the controller so it is easy to adjust on the fly.

My fingers are tired now so I'll shut up.

·
17 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I have replaced my Prodigy controllers with a MaxBrake on two vehicles. I am stunned at how big a difference the MaxBrake made. And yes, the Prodigy controllers were adjusted properly.

Let me clarify that. The Prodigy on my F350 Crew Cab was adjusted properly. They Prodigy on my Fleetwood Discovery motorhome was close. It is nearly impossible to get it just right because the RV is so long and heavy, you cannot get a proper feel. Plus the trailer is so far back, you cannot really feel or hear what is going on. There have been times that the trailer tires have locked up and you couldn't feel it, but I could see it in the mirror.

That is what makes the MaxBrake invaluable on these rigs especially the RV. I haul a race car trailer that varies several thousand pounds depending on what I am hauling at the time. I don't have to touch my controller once whether it is loaded, partially loaded, or unloaded. It stops smoothly and in concert with the tow vehicle every time.

You don't know stress until you are sitting under the RV holding a razor knife in one hand and what you hope is the correct air line in the other. The RV is on air bags and cutting that line may not just be the wrong one, but I couldn't help but worry that it wouldn't collapse the bags with me under it. I was relating a little with the Chillean miners for a bit. :)

Anyway, I chose the proper line and it was a breeze to install.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
My prodigy is 4 years old and never skips a beat. I wouldn't look at anything else. If I had to choose something else it would be the newer P3 which is just an update of the prodigy.

·
5,365 Posts
you wont find a better brake controller than a controller that works off
of BRAKE <FLUID> PRESSURE !

their are only 3 on the market that work this way -

1. Ford Factory Integrated controller

there are NO better response brake controls than those that use
brake fluid pressure (or air pressure) - you just wont get a more responsive
and precise trailer braking system !

·
5,365 Posts
the prodigy is a well marketed controller, no doubt but it lacks in any real
diagnostic capability because it only displays the voltage output to the trailer brakes.

A controller that has an option to display the amperage draw of the brakes - will
allow you to diagnose when you have a brake or brakes that are not activating
or ones that are sticking.

Amp draw or load provides identification of potential brake problems.

·
236 Posts
i have a Maxbrake unit in my 4700. With more than one sensor it wouldn't be a problem to move between vehicles. Wiring just plugs in to back. Once you set it to truck and tailor to your liking it works flawless. Always the correct amount of brakes, forward or backward, uphill or down. I've had Prodigy controllers in past. Always seem to lead or lag, never just right. I will admit they aren't cheap. Neither is running over someone cause your trailer brakes aren't helping.

Reactions: bushpilot
1 - 18 of 18 Posts