The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,

i understand this kind of question is likely going to get into personal preferences and is largely opinion based but i'm still curious to hear about experiences folks have had.

i'm looking to get into a slightly more capable truck than what i have now. would prefer to stay with the single axle (space and access are important for me) but i would like to find something with more GVWR (~33k GVWR would be good for my needs).

my first truck was purchased from an aquantaince and it worked out well enough but i want something with a manual transmission (current rig is an allison auto).

what engine/transmission combo i should be looking for? i usually only haul gravel and i'm going to be buying an older truck (my budget is $12-18K). thanks all

a.

·
Registered
33 Posts
A lot of it is based on preference. A bigger question is how will you use it. I really do like the DT-466e. I think it’s the best choice when it comes to the medium duties. The medium duty cats don’t have sleeves, so when it’s time for a rebuild… we’ll you can’t… so you replace the whole engine. The dt466e has wet sleeves so you can do an inframe. They are super reliable and really easy to work on - a plus if you do your own maintenance. They are also super common, tons of them around so parts (new and used) are reasonably easy to find and usually in stock. The only down fall to them is you won’t be setting any land speed records or passing anyone lol. Slow, but reliable. They make a very good local and regional truck. The 4900 internationals also had the Eaton 8 and 9 speeds in them. The only other option is going to a bigger truck (the lighter end of the class 8’s) you can find 8.3 Cummins - more power but still no Jakes.

For a 12-15k budget I’d recommend a 4900 with a dt466e, preferably an 8/9 speed but the good ole spicer 6+1 is not bad either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
A lot of it is based on preference. A bigger question is how will you use it. I really do like the DT-466e. I think it’s the best choice when it comes to the medium duties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thanks - i'm looking for a DT466 truck. sounds like a good choice.

use is straight forward. it will be used sparingly but primarily to haul stone/gravel. no super long trips (all my jobs are within 45 mile radius) and make many short trips between the quarry and home (15 miles roundtrip).

a.

·
1,225 Posts
I had a 80’s vintage (forget the exact year) IH 1800, dt466 with a dump box for hauling almonds during harvest. More then once then once exceeded 40,000 lbs gross. It had 225 hp and 10 speed transmission. It hauled it just fine, didn’t know it was that heavy until on the scale.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts