The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I wanted to get some input on which turbo and injectors everyone likes for all around.

I tow a big trailer (15k). I'd want to improve towing, and also be able to go fast at the same time. (Have my cake and eat it too.)
My main concern though is towing. I was looking at an 88mm wheel w/ 240ccs, but I'm afraid it will smoke like crazy, and that it will be lazy on the bottom. The EGTs could also be a problem.

Innovative has a 74mm wheel, and I could go w/ 180cc stage 2s. What do you all think about this combo as well.

The problem, is I always want to go as big as I can, but I'm worried about the towing and smoke. My Dad's dodge smokes like spy hunter when you start pourin the coal. (Both sides of the freeway go up in smoke! Someone actually reported him to the EPA!) I don't want this. Or at least I'd Like to avoid excessive smoke. Some smoke is good.

Sorry for the rambling, but just have too many questions.

Sean

·
Registered
596 Posts
With a good custom burnt chip you can have both. You can run something along the lines of a 230cc Hybrid and have a detuned tow program to keep the smoke down and EGTs under control. Have a fun program burned to use the fuel those hybrids will produce. 180cc's are great for towing and not bad for fast, but Jody can do a lot to make big injectors work well towing. You might want to give the tuner of your choice a call and ask them as well. I would go with single shots to make the most use out of the HPOP

As for turbo, are you talking about swapping a wheel onto your existing turbo? The GTP38R is a ball bearing turbo with a 88mm wheel. They spool very quickly and work pretty well all around. Some don't like it, most do for mild tow/street rigs. A lot of guys like the TN drop-in as well, however lately there have been some guys have trouble with them as well.

If that is an early 99 you have and you haven't converted to SD parts yet I would look into either an H2E or a D66 which is a drop-in. D66 can be had from Beans Diesel Performance.

·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So it sounds like 230cc injectors and a new 88mm tuebo will be the setup I'll go with. I'm looking at AD injectors and replacing the hat and turbo as well as the pedistool. Basically replacing the early 99 intake w/ the late 99 and on stuff.

Is the intercooler the same on the early and late 99s?

Sean

·
Registered
596 Posts
The intercoolers are sized the same IIRC, but they did switch from Aluminum to plastic tanks, not sure of the date.

I wouldn't go with AD injectors, they use too much oil stock. Go with singles, the truck will run much better in the higher HP chip settings as the singles use less oil than splits. You will need to have your chip retuned.

The Dominator 66 from Beans is a direct bolt-in for the OBS/early 99 trucks so if you go that route you don't need to buy all the 99.5+ stuff. If you do go the 99.5+ then you can put the 38R or Tn on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts