The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered before but I'm a ford 6.0 owner and my buddy needs to know what the best programmer to get. The safest/ highest hp tune for daily driver and where is the best place to buy the programmer. Also is there vendors who make custom tunes for these GM's. Thanks alot.

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
For hand held programmers, there are a number of good choices depending on his wants, needs, and budget. PPE is a good one and seems to be well liked, but for ultimate tunability, EFI live is the way to go.

·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
His wants and needs is a safe reliable set of tunes to be able to daily drive it but get plenty of power. As far as budget goes some I would say around the 700$ range.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
PPE Xcellerator Standard, 160hp, reliable and under $700, its plug and play, but there is a little bit of adjustability, no custom tunes, but it will be his best bet

EFI Live is THE BEST tuning for the Dmax, however it requires the user to be fairly well versed with computers, and if he wants custom tunes he will need to purchase them, from someone like duramaxtuner.com, however EFI is just over $700 and to get access to duramaxtuner.com its another $100 or so

Does your friend realize that if you tune a Dmax more than 100hp above stock that he WILL damage his allison?

·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you kidding!? The coveted allison can only handle 100 more hp? I would like to here some more info on this?

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Are you kidding!? The coveted allison can only handle 100 more hp? I would like to here some more info on this?
Aaron is right. The Allison was built for durability. When you raise power levels, you inherently lose durability. Anything more then 100ish more horsepower over stock and your on borrowed time. The good news is, with a new converter and valve body (plus tuning) you can go a lot higher then that with no problem.

A good rule of thumb for any automatic transmission in stock form (regardless of brand) is 1/3 over the stock power rating is where damage begins.

:happymugs

Reactions: BriteWhiteRam

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
Unfortunately i am far from kidding, and the worst part of it is that a Converter is about $1300-1800, a shift kit is only about $130 bucks, but i would also upgrade the clutches as well.... so i would be putting about $3000 or so to upgrade the tranny if he plans on tuning it more than 100hp, the good news is that the hard parts like the input shaft, intermediate shaft, and output shaft take a LOT more than 100hp to break, your looking at over 600-700hp before they start breaking:thumbsup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts