The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
149 Posts
I think that I am using the Goodyear Marathons on my race trailer. I have a couple thousand miles on them and they are now a year old. No problems or complaints with them.

LT.

·
Ford 6.4 it's just cooler
673 Posts
thanks for that wayne...we've been playing with trailer tires for some time now trying to find one worth a quarter

·
Administrator
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for that wayne...we've been playing with trailer tires for some time now trying to find one worth a quarter
The price is steep, but I think they are worth it!

I put them on a trailer (36' 6 horse head to head) after trying every damn tire I could find, trying to get out of it cheaper than buy 4 new GY's. I wish I would have ponied up to start with! After the GY went on, never another blow out. The came standard on a 50' Jamco horse trailer we had, that is where I found them.

·
Registered
29 Posts

·
26 tires rolling
929 Posts
Really??? i have 6 of them in various states of destructed i gave to a Friend as tarp hold downs. My 6 horse would eat those for breakfast lunch and dinner.

THE ONLY tire i could keep on the damn thing was the Michelin XPS RIB. The Goodyear 159 (been a long time since these were even made) and its so called G load range replacement 614 would grenade with less than 3K on them every time.

DIDNT have any better luck with 17.5"s on the horse trailers either But my Murray lowbed does fine on them.

Every one i know now runs the Michelin XPS Rib's on their big assed living quarters trailers and swears by them now also.

Something that seemed to help when i was running the Goodyear's was to switching to Alcoa forged alloy wheels. The aluminum does a better job of drawing the heat out of the tires side walls than steel. also less un sprung weight helps the ride and tire life also.

·
236 Posts
I run a China tire called Hi-Run. The 235-85-16 is a 3 ply sidewall good for 4,000 lbs each. They weigh nearly twice as much as the Goodyears I took off. Decent price. Don't know how long they will last. Sure can tell a difference in how the trailer pulls. Less rolling resistance. Better have some good wheels though they call for 110 psi for full load rating.

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
Whatever tires I have on my boat trailer, I like. They're black, round, and get the job done. They've seen triple digit speeds before... :D

Got em from Costco about a year and a half ago. Towmaster maybe?

·
26 tires rolling
929 Posts
Whatever tires I have on my boat trailer, I like. They're black, round, and get the job done. They've seen triple digit speeds before... :D

Got em from Costco about a year and a half ago. Towmaster maybe?
Haha i know all my trailer tires will do 85 MPH in 110 deg heat for 5 hours non stop with axle loads of 7,000+. gotta be along the same lines...

·
TDG Official Poo Flinger
5,268 Posts

·
1,014 Posts
What are your thoughts?

Here is the best trailer tire I have ever seen, owned, used, heard of.

Goodyear G614 RST
Thanks for the info i was just looking for tires yesterday.Got to get tires in time for desert season.Think i will take a look at those:thumbsup

·
Administrator
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info i was just looking for tires yesterday.Got to get tires in time for desert season.Think i will take a look at those:thumbsup
I have never been dissapointed in those tires. There's a bit of sticker shock at first for most, but when you factor in what it's worth compared to blow outs, and downtime, piece of mind is worth it!

·
Cummins Tower
83 Posts
i got powerkings on mine the wear really good i haul heavy and am off road alot with it never had a problem yet. they got bout 6 or 7 k on them and still got bout 1/2 tread if not a lil better

·
TDG Official Poo Flinger
5,268 Posts
i got powerkings on mine the wear really good i haul heavy and am off road alot with it never had a problem yet. they got bout 6 or 7 k on them and still got bout 1/2 tread if not a lil better
read my link in my other post,...good info in there,...especially the part on how long you should keep tires,..and how fast they degrade every year.

Look under the "TIME" section at the end.

·
1 Posts
Hi-Run Tires: Beware

Standard issue on Hallmark trailers. 3 blowouts in less than 500 miles out of the 5 tires on the trailer. Replaced 1 of 6 several weeks ago because of a nail. Started our trip, 1st blew at mile 185, luckily Discount tire nearby. Installed the spare (non hi run) while inspecting the remaining tires found a suspect spot on another Hi Run, replaced it. 3 Hi Runs remain. 100 miles later 2nd blowout, installed spare, ran 25 miles no spare (sweating the entire way), found a tire shop in a very small town, paid a premium. 125 miles later 3rd "issue", we caught the last when it started to smoke, side wall inside and out was separating. Made it to our destination, again with no spare and no replacement to be found in the town we stopped at. Had to drive another 60 miles (truck only) to find a replacement. It was replaced and saved as exhibit "A" to get some monetary relief from the Hallmark dealer we purchased the trailer from.

Return trip we had no Hi Run left on the trailer and no tire problems. Buyer beware.

·
236 Posts
I can update on the Hi Run tires also. I have about 3,000 miles on mine and are 2.5 yrs old. I don't use the trailer a lot obviously. Two blowouts on the last trip with 2500 lbs on each tire. Other 4 on trailer have wobble in tread and will blowout next time out of yard. Fussing with dire distributor now for selling me china junk. I'm sure they will offer $5 adjustment as long as I replace them with more china junk. Interestingly enough Goodyear Marathons are made in China. I'll be replacing them with Yokohama more than likely with or something made in the USA. Certainly won't be a no-name brand or anything from China. Pretty sad with a LR F tire won't handle 2500 lbs in a dual application.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts