The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 305 Posts

·
The one and only
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.... Who do you feel is the best tuner out there and why.

I want to know real reasons why and not just because.

I want to know if you have ran any other tuners to compare and who they where.

·
8,265 Posts
This thread will only remain open if discussion can be civil with facts and issues, not heresay or opinions.

In otherwords...if you can add something useful to this thread...post it up. If all you want to do is fan the tuner flames...well...you can stay out voluntarily or we can help you stay out voluntarily.

·
The one and only
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ok I will start. I have ran the following

Bully Dog Power Pup - Ran this when I 1st got my truck. Had it on the truck for 10 mins and it didn't run right. White smoke and rough idle. Sent it back to an Edge.

Edge - About the same as the Bully Dog but it idled fine. Just wasn't happy with the way it ran and shifted.

TS Chip - Ran it for about 2 weeks till my tranny took a crap. Blew out OD then found out they suck when I found TDS. Sold it.

DP Tuner - Ran it for 2 years. Was happy with the power and the shift points. Always questioned the injector noise between the different setting. Ended up cracking all 8 pistons and both heads. Never over heated the truck or anything so it wasnt high EGT's. It was just piss poor tuning IMO. Bad star pattern burnt onto the pistons caused by to much timing. Then found out the injector noise was from to much ICP.

Now running a chip from Matt at Gearhead Automotive. I can't compare it stock to stock with the DP Tuner but the truck runs SO much better. No injector chatter or anything. The throttle is not tuchy like the DP was and way less smoke even with the 238 hybrids. Matt's tuning was so good that when I went to get live tuned by him there was not much more he could do to improve it. It was already perfect and hit over 500hp on the 1st run on the dyno.

So there are the tuners I have ran an my experiences.

I have a few friends with Powerstrokes. One with a chip from DI and the other from PHP. I have drivin them both. Both are very nice. The only complants I have is the DI Chip the idle is choppy but its not stock injectors and the other with the PHP the TC lockup is kinda hard but he dont have a shift kit or anything.

So please share some of your stories

·
6,337 Posts
This thread will only remain open if discussion can be civil with facts and issues, not heresay or opinions.

In otherwords...if you can add something useful to this thread...post it up. If all you want to do is fan the tuner flames...well...you can stay out voluntarily or we can help you stay out voluntarily.

I'll stay out...

·
211 Posts
I just found out that the previous owner put an ATS chip rated at 50 hp on my truck.

It ran just fine until about December 08, when all of a sudden the truck would only occasionally start. It took me 8 months to figure out what was causing my problems. To be fair, I don't think it was the chip that caused the problems, but the fact that it was coming loose.

Going back to stock for a little while........

Woody

·
622 Posts
So.... Who do you feel is the best tuner out there and why.

I want to know real reasons why and not just because.

I want to know if you have ran any other tuners to compare and who they where.
I have had a edge evolution tuner and there was nothing wrong with it other than the fact it was generis tunes. If you are looking for good tunes IMO get a 6 position chip from one of the vendors and have custom tunes put on it for a similar price. and they can be easily reburned if needed, although there are some tuner out there only a few people can write tunes to them.

:usflag

·
TDG Mafia #76
2,542 Posts
Answer's in my signature.

Ran multiple tuners on the same setup, this one's the best for my driving styles.

Matt's tuning was PERFECT out of the box. You can't ask for more than that.

·
The one and only
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have had a edge evolution tuner and there was nothing wrong with it other than the fact it was generis tunes. If you are looking for good tunes IMO get a 6 position chip from one of the vendors and have custom tunes put on it for a similar price. and they can be easily reburned if needed, although there are some tuner out there only a few people can write tunes to them.

:usflag
Didn't you read? I have a good tuner. Probably one of the best out there :thumbsup

I just want other peoples opinions since it is such a heated topic. I want people to be able to share there experiences so if someone comes on here looking for a tuner they can come here and read.

Thank you for you input. Whos tuning are you running now?

·
The one and only
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
622 Posts
Didn't you read? I have a good tuner. Probably one of the best out there :thumbsup

I just want other peoples opinions since it is such a heated topic. I want people to be able to share there experiences so if someone comes on here looking for a tuner they can come here and read.

Thank you for you input. Whos tuning are you running now?

may you should fill out a signature! or state that in the post with the question :bang it read as it if you were window shopping, or better yet do a seach on here for this subject, it comes up all the time, and maybe people wont waste their time to answer it.

·
Banned
4 Posts
may you should fill out a signature! or state that in the post with the question :bang it read as it if you were window shopping, or better yet do a seach on here for this subject, it comes up all the time, and maybe people wont waste their time to answer it.
He did have a sig filled out. But he is banned at the momment so his sig will not show up.

But in his 2nd post in this thread he had posted whe he has ran in the past and what he likes most.

What I get from this thread is that the OP is trying to find out what everyone likes and why they like it to better direct people that are new and looking for good information on this subject since it is always so controversial. :thumbsup

·
1,787 Posts
Since I've had my truck.
I've ran a Superchips chip for towing with no problems wanted more power so I saved up for the Superchips Programmer. Ran it for quite a while no problems still have it for a back up.. Made some other mods to the truck and caught the mod bug.. Bought a TS chip, ran it for about 3 years no problems, looking for more and sent to DP Tuner from a couple of Military buddies. Bought the F-5 had no problems, when the F-6 came out I upgraded to that one happy I wouldn't have to remove the chip and send it back and both for tune changes with the mods going on with the truck now.. For my lightly modded truck I haven't had problems with any of the listed above, just always looking for more..

·
459 Posts
I have ran two different SuperChips Programmers and now DpTuner. I have loved my DpTuner from Day one and have no intentions of changing. actually going to upgrade from my old TS Style DP chip to Jodys F6 so i can load my tunes without sending the chip back. also getting live tuned in april after i install all my mods.

·
6,337 Posts
Why are we banning people over this now? Why cant we discuss this crap without always resorting to banning the people that are not on the band wagon???

·
8,265 Posts
I began with the SCT tri-tuner. Moved up to a chip from Lott, tried a chip from TS, and finally settled on DP-Tuner.

To answer the original question...which is the best tuner. None of them...and all of them. The best tuner is one that is able to make your truck meet your expectations, within your budget and within your truck's capabilities. I don't expect that what makes me happy will make Joe happy, and conversely what makes Joe happy may not make anybody else happy.

Truthfully...what really bugs me about threads like this is that I get the impression that some people honestly loose sleep over the fact that they can't convince somebody of their opinion. I don't lose sleep over what anybody else has in their truck tune wise...and I sure as hell don't expect anybody to lose sleep over what I run in mine.

Anyway...pick whatever tuning best suites your needs and run with it. THAT right there is the best tuning for you.

Reactions: allstarsixo

·
6,337 Posts
Where did Trey go?

Got the AXE...:haha

Truthfully...what really bugs me about threads like this is that I get the impression that some people honestly loose sleep over the fact that they can't convince somebody of their opinion. I don't lose sleep over what anybody else has in their truck tune wise...and I sure as hell don't expect anybody to lose sleep over what I run in mine.

Anyway...pick whatever tuning best suites your needs and run with it. THAT right there is the best tuning for you.
What frustrates me is when people have issues with a product, and show time after time a track record of those issues, they are quickly dismissed as bandwagoners or nutcases...

·
*^%$#@&am p;am p;am p;am p;am
1,327 Posts
DP Tuner - Ran it for 2 years. Was happy with the power and the shift points. Always questioned the injector noise between the different setting. Ended up cracking all 8 pistons and both heads. Never over heated the truck or anything so it wasnt high EGT's. It was just piss poor tuning IMO. Bad star pattern burnt onto the pistons caused by to much timing. Then found out the injector noise was from to much ICP.

Is there a grain of truth in the above statment?

i have invested big dollars in my truck

modding a PSD half around the world is very expensive and you have to trust in what you read on these forums.

i am happy with my DP TUNER so far ,but the engine seems very noisy apart from stock setting under acceleration.

does this worry me?

yes it does

i would like an honest answer from dp tuner if there is a grain of truth in these internet rumours

if my reputation was under fire in my business i would the "put out the fire before it become an inferno"

to be honest the silence is deafening

this is not an attack on dp tuner whatsoever i have no bone to pick with them at all.

i just think a bit of reassurance from dp tuner on this matter will set my mind at rest.

i have been a member on this site since the start and i am not muckraker or a troll.

i just think its time to clear the air:thumbsup

·
Premium Member
4,090 Posts
What frustrates me is when people have issues with a product, and show time after time a track record of those issues, they are quickly dismissed as bandwagoners or nutcases...
It's equally as frustrating when the issues are not researched enough to determine other factors that could cause the problems and the easy way out is taken - "Oh, it had to be (insert favorite scapegoat here)'s fault . . ." and those people become an extremely vocal minority in an attempt to discredit a person or product or topic about which they know very little, if anything.

Almost as frustrating as people who won't follow established guidelines and then attempt to subvert the decisions of the people in charge of enforcing those guidelines.

AussieDave,

You bring up some salient points, particularly about the investment and the peace of mind we all hope for when choosing a product.

The TDG Staff will make certain DP-Tuner sees your post and trust they will respond to you directly. Whether they respond publicly is a matter they will decide based on their business model and values.

We welcome opinions and the people behind them, provided they can manage to abide by the TDG Site Rules.

prt

1 - 20 of 305 Posts