The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm Paul with Native Custom Baggers. We specialize in custom Harley touring models. My truck is a 1997 2wd Dually with a E4od tranny (which just crapped out. Any suggestions on the BEST E4od upgrades would be appreciated as well. I'll be having it rebuilt this week with the best parts and converter I can find). I installed a Bully dog chip in my stock computer about a year ago, and a few months ago my computer failed and I spent like 600.00 to have the dealer install a new one. I won't put the Bully Dog back on since I had other problems with it also. My question is what is the best programmer for my 97? I primarily tow a 28' enclosed cycle hauler with it. 13,000 max weight. I'm looking for more power and better milage. (I know, aren't we all) Before reading the posts about the DP I was leaning toward a BD edge tuner. Any advise would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
790 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips. Tubzz, What has been done to the wife's truck for 693 ft lb of torque? Yours is quite impressive, but I'm not ready to tear my motor down yet. Do you have an e4od? What has been to it to make it able to handle that kind of power? Thanks. Paul.

·
6,337 Posts
BTS tranny will set you back about $3000-$4000 depending on the options... But he is one of the best, Also SunCoast are good too, but I dont know if they have the e4do?

Tuners, Tony is great! Tadd at Elite diesel has got my nod for a while now... Havent found anything I like better. Dp tuner is very popular too! All are great tuners who will work with you to get it right!

You can't even compare a programer to a chip! Got gauges in that rig? You need a EGT at the min...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got boost, egt, and now trans temp gauges. So you prefer the tuners over the chips too? I think I decided on trans parts from Edge converters. They have a single disc converter that uses a high carbon disc combined with very close tolerances to transfer the power better through the fluid coupling so the lock up doesn't have to be as strong with 3 discs. The guy sounds very knowledgable. His website is http://www.edgeracingconverters.com/prices.html Also, they are only about 500.00.

·
Registered
251 Posts
CustomBaggers said:
I've got boost, egt, and now trans temp gauges. So you prefer the tuners over the chips too? I think I decided on trans parts from Edge converters. They have a single disc converter that uses a high carbon disc combined with very close tolerances to transfer the power better through the fluid coupling so the lock up doesn't have to be as strong with 3 discs. The guy sounds very knowledgable. His website is http://www.edgeracingconverters.com/prices.html Also, they are only about 500.00.
Please don't take this wrong, but remember, you get what you pay for, in this application, the most trusted best proven torque converters are all at least a grand or more.

·
Registered
790 Posts
i agree with tony. I tried saving a few bucks on a tranny and i ended up spending alot of money....i bought a cheap one then had to buy a good one after the first failed.

·
6,337 Posts
CustomBaggers said:

The people I mentioned above are "tuners", they write performance programs for our trucks. They then install these into a chip, with 2-3-4-5-6 and up possitions you can shift on the fly. You can go from a 80hp tow tune to a 120 race and back in a second.

But with a OBS (old body style) your going to be limited to about a 80hp gain with the stock injectors.

As far as a TC, go with a BTS, ATS, Suncoast... any of the well known brands!

·
6,337 Posts
CustomBaggers said:

The people I mentioned above are "tuners", they write performance programs for our trucks. They then install these into a chip, with 2-3-4-5-6 and up possitions you can shift on the fly. You can go from a 80hp tow tune to a 120 race and back in a second.

But with a OBS (old body style) your going to be limited to about a 80hp gain with the stock injectors.

As far as a TC, go with a BTS, ATS, Suncoast... any of the well known brands!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts