The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, lets have it. Based on first hand knowledge and experience, what's your opinion on the best value dual tandem gooseneck (price/quality)
Want to go with tilt and 30'.
Not looking for highest priced, but best value. I have the truck to pull it, now I need the trailer.
I have only looked at PJ & Econoline.

·
1,224 Posts
OK, lets have it. Based on first hand knowledge and experience, what's your opinion on the best value dual tandem gooseneck (price/quality)
Not looking for highest priced, but best value. I have the truck to pull it, now I need the trailer.
I like my PJ, although its a 28' beavertail with pop-up deck on tail. I like the wide gussetting on hitch both forward and to sides of hitch frame riser compared to some of the other brands.

Reactions: Duke

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
From what I have seen in my search for a 20 + 5 GN.

Best all around bang for buck is Corn Pro.
PJ and Gator where about the same.
Load Trail or Load Max ( Same company) Have what I think is the best product out there but you pay GREATLY for it. But that is just what I have seen and gathered. I got my prices this year the National Farm Machinery Show in Louisville, KY. ( Show prices seem to be about 250-500 bucks off normal price. or at least that is how it used to be )

Reactions: Duke

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found a nice used H&H goose I can get for ~$5,000 that has adjustable beavertail and slide out ramps. Tires about 80%. 24K GVWR.
I kind of like the idea of a tilt, though.

·
212 Posts
there is a company in nebrasks, kaufman, who build trailers. prices were better than pj when i looked.

·
229 Posts
Brute trailers out of texas look very well made. We bought a Delta lo pro 28ft. It is ok but the wiring isn't as good as the canadian built trailers. The freight on the Brute took it out of our budget. The brute tail is the best that I have seen.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
I have pulled some enconolines and was not impressed with their sping setup. I think there are better trailers out there. How ever the ones I pulled where not G/N they were pintles like the one shown at the top of the page, the G/Ns look way better from the photos.

·
425 Posts
I started checking out Diamod C trailers because we'd like a gooseneck for hay. They seem to have a bit of everything.

·
Dedicated Diesel Perv
372 Posts
I ordered me a new PJ gooseneck this last summer. Have put 10K on it including a trip from GA to AK over some pretty rough roads with no problems

·
3,533 Posts
I bought a SRW tandem PJ dump trailer, goose neck, with a single cylinder lift. The base "D" mount broke, and PJ was good about having it repaired. I got it from Washington state, and saved a bundle, Olympic trailers out of Fife.

·
440 Posts
Where are you located ???

I own a 2012 PJ 40' Flat Deck (48' Overall Length). So far so good. I run into guys all the time at the truck stops and in the oil fields Hot Shotting like I do. All the brands have their good and bad to them. I researched and compared a lot of different brands. The reasons I went with the PJ is:

Price, they were almost a C-Note less than the others.
I know a lot of people that run them and they all liked theirs.
The are the only company that powder coats them. The roads into and out of the oil fields are hell on our trucks and trailers. With that said I try my best to keep my equipment looking clean and professional. The powder coating is a more durable finish that a paint finish.

Just about all the manufactures install LED lights standard now. What ever you go with get the LED's. They're brighter and will last much longer than standard light bulbs.

·
440 Posts
I started checking out Diamod C trailers because we'd like a gooseneck for hay. They seem to have a bit of everything.
Diamond C produces good trailers. My wife used to work for them at their manufacturing facility in East Texas. I was going to buy one from them but could not get a salesman to call me back.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Where are you located ???

I own a 2012 PJ 40' Flat Deck (48' Overall Length). So far so good. I run into guys all the time at the truck stops and in the oil fields Hot Shotting like I do. All the brands have their good and bad to them. I researched and compared a lot of different brands. The reasons I went with the PJ is:

Price, they were almost a C-Note less than the others.
I know a lot of people that run them and they all liked theirs.
The are the only company that powder coats them. The roads into and out of the oil fields are hell on our trucks and trailers. With that said I try my best to keep my equipment looking clean and professional. The powder coating is a more durable finish that a paint finish.

Just about all the manufactures install LED lights standard now. What ever you go with get the LED's. They're brighter and will last much longer than standard light bulbs.

Load Max/Load Trail has powder coating as an option. A friend of mine has one that is powder coated and its really nice.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I actually dislike powder coating. I have yet to own anything powder coated where the powder coating didn't flake off in less than 5 years-trailers, snow plows, you name it. Powder coating has never lived up to it's hype for me. Once it starts peeling, it's tough to fix. I prefer a good clean primer job and quality automotive paint.

BTW: came close to finding a trailer. Found a 24K on CL, but it was sold.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
I actually dislike powder coating. I have yet to own anything powder coated where the powder coating didn't flake off in less than 5 years-trailers, snow plows, you name it. Powder coating has never lived up to it's hype for me. Once it starts peeling, it's tough to fix. I prefer a good clean primer job and quality automotive paint.

BTW: came close to finding a trailer. Found a 24K on CL, but it was sold.
Paint is easy to fix, so I can see where it would be better for you application. I am not sure that powder coat is something work the extra money.

·
440 Posts
Paint is easy to fix, so I can see where it would be better for you application. I am not sure that powder coat is something work the extra money.
I am ASSuming that was meant to be "worth"???

If you do your research and shop around, powder coating doesn't cost any extra over paint.

·
3,533 Posts
I have a PJ and there is one place on the top of the goose neck that is pealing I am going to chip off the powder coat and cover it with an undercoating. Other than that it makes it look good. I do have to paint the underside.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts