The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Still Strokin
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 20+5 flat bed that i need to put a new floor in. I whas thinking red or white Oak. Any ideas?

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
I know a guy that got rough cut oak(believe red) for his when it needed a change..rough cut is cheaper just takes a little longer to fit but looked pretty good when it was done..

·
26 tires rolling
929 Posts
rumber. i hear good things about bamboo the only downside is it can be slick when wet.

·
302 Posts
Years ago when we had to re-deck one of the floats we would use pressure treated pine. It seemed to hold up pretty good. Most of our loading/unloading was done with winches. :thumbsup:usflag

·
26 tires rolling
929 Posts
oh I forgot the proverbial standard for many years has been apitong. probably the best wood out their for the job but its $$$

·
49 Posts
dlopp, I would use the rough cut oak red or white. If its still green when you install it keep the edges tight with no gap, as the wood drys out the gaps will open up. If you really want it to last let it dry a few months and then put a deck stain on it.

·
Still Strokin
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dlopp, I would use the rough cut oak red or white. If its still green when you install it keep the edges tight with no gap, as the wood drys out the gaps will open up. If you really want it to last let it dry a few months and then put a deck stain on it.
I think I'm going to do Red Oak. I was going to get it kylm dried.

·
1,567 Posts
I’m cheap; I used treated pine and sealed it with deck stain. It looked good and lasted a long time.

·
5,365 Posts
I’m cheap; I used treated pine and sealed it with deck stain. It looked good and lasted a long time.
yup me too ! pressure treated pine....came on the trailer new...
i use an OPAQUE stain on it every year....25 bucks or so for a gallon
and the wood is holding up very nicely.

·
1,445 Posts
might want to check into some steel it might be cheaper right now I no scrap prices are low

·
5,365 Posts
might want to check into some steel it might be cheaper right now I no scrap prices are low
I like my wood deck...i never worry about drilling a hole in it to mount a
wheel chock, u-bolt, or E-TRACK.

any holes that end up as a result of something having been removed
just get plugged up w/ some DOWEL Pin...and painted over.

·
1,567 Posts
yup me too ! pressure treated pine....came on the trailer new...
i use an OPAQUE stain on it every year....25 bucks or so for a gallon
and the wood is holding up very nicely.
Treated is the only way I will do mine. Best bang for the buck in my opinion.
Like I said, I am cheap ….mostly because I have to be. :bang:

·
7.3 addict
644 Posts
call around to a lumber mill and you can probably get a really good deal on cut to length rough sawn and best to put down green and let it shrink.

·
Still Strokin
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The mill will only cut up to 16' and i need boards 20'. There is a guy i know with a portable band saw, that can cut 20'. We are gonna drag a nice Red Oak out of the woods and then give him a call. :thumbsup We are gonna seal the wood wih clean 10W oil.

Thanks for the info guys.

·
7.3 addict
644 Posts
make sure you pull those as tight together as you can because it will shrink.

·
123 Posts
I usley use pine then mix sand in with fence paint seals it an also makes 4 nice traction..

·
11 Posts
I'm going to use oak when I redo the deck on my lowboy. Treated pine loses it strength after a couple off years, when it gets dried out. It's okay for light loads. The guy I get oak from has a band saw and it almost looks like its been thru the planer when he cuts it. Let it dry out with some spacers between it for air flow for a couple of months. Hopefully the red oak your going to drag out of the wood is not living, it will contain a lot of moisture and shrink more. An old farmer told me the best time to cut fence posts is in the winter when the saps down, and pores are closed more. I know some farmers that treat their hay wagons with used motor oil every fall.

·
3,754 Posts
Apitong is the best, pricy but will last a real long time

·
1 Posts
There are a couple of places in my area that cut old electric, telephone poles that have been replaced with new ones and cut to length. These seem to last longer than anything else that I have used. I do treat them with linseed oil annually.

·
Ol Dirt Contractor
2,803 Posts
Apitong is the best, pricy but will last a real long time
That's all we use anymore, tough as iron but not quite as heavy. Murray has it in stock in CA, comes from South America.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts