The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is some heated debate on another thread concerning which is more important to our 6.4L diesel community at this point in time: Tunes that will produce better Fuel Economy or Tunes that will improve performance (more horsepower, better, shifting, etc.)

Please submit your vote for one of the following:

Fuel Economy Tune

or

Performance Tune

Thanks for your participation.

·
Green Goose No Juice
160 Posts
A performance tune cause you get fuel economy out of it too.. :damnit

Reactions: supr87gt

·
1,570 Posts
They're talking about a safer economy tune than the high hp ones. Something that uses timing and other parameters from the high hp tunes with less fuel so they are safer to run. Also with smoother shifting and less touchy throttle.

·
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A performance tune cause you get fuel economy out of it too.. :damnit
I flew to Houston, Texas to buy my 2010 F250 CrewCab 4x4 with 3.55 gears, then drove it 70-75 mph back home, which was 600 miles. Bone stock I averaged 16.9 mpg (took time to fill the tank to the brim & hand calculated the mileage) and saw the "Cleaning Diesel Filter" display come on 3 times.

Immediately added the 250 Tune and deleted the DPF. Made the drive to Houston and back 2 months later, same speed, same route and basically the same weather pattern.
I got anywhere from 17.1 to 17.4.

Fast-forward another 10,000 miles with the 250 tune and my highway average at 70-75 mph is still around 17.0 to 17.5 mpg. I have seen one tank that did 18 +, but I had a pretty good tail wind.

How much horsepower would it take to get 19 to 20 mpg on my truck: 400, 500, 600 or higher?

·
Spartan Diesel Tech
969 Posts
I flew to Houston, Texas to buy my 2010 F250 CrewCab 4x4 with 3.55 gears, then drove it 70-75 mph back home, which was 600 miles. Bone stock I averaged 16.9 mpg (took time to fill the tank to the brim & hand calculated the mileage) and saw the "Cleaning Diesel Filter" display come on 3 times.

Immediately added the 250 Tune and deleted the DPF. Made the drive to Houston and back 2 months later, same speed, same route and basically the same weather pattern.

Fast-forward another 10,000 miles with the 250 tune and my highway average at 70-75 mph is still around 17.0 to 17.5 mpg. I have seen one tank that did 18 +, but I had a pretty good tail wind.

How much horsepower would it take to get 19 to 20 mpg on my truck: 400, 500, 600 or higher?
I have 3.73 gears in my truck and I have gotten 17.5-18.0 on a long trip with the 210 tune. Back when I was leveled out and on 35" tires, I ran 70 mph from Knoxville, TN to Atlanta, GA one night and hand calculated over 19 mpg with the 275 tune.

·
1,415 Posts
:peelout:coal PERFORMANCE :toytruck

·
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would a Moderator please stop this Thread that I started? I have a feeling that it is going Nowhere. Jeff from Spartan just responded on another thread that they are not going to develop a Fuel Economy Tune, so the point of this debate is Moot.

THANKS!!!!!!!

·
2,183 Posts
Would a Moderator please stop this Thread that I started? I have a feeling that it is going Nowhere. Jeff from Spartan just responded on another thread that they are not going to develop a Fuel Economy Tune, so the point of this debate is Moot.

THANKS!!!!!!!
Just responded? More like responded for the 1390574290483920848th time. I don't understand how it's so hard for you guys to comprehend the reasoning behind tuning companies not being able to produce an economy tune.

If you wanted fuel economy you shouldn't have bought a 8,000 lb truck! I don't know how you don't do enough research on a truck before you buy it to realize that it's not going to get the mileage the previous generations have.

Go trade in for a f***ing prius already and tell us how happy you are then.

·
Green Goose No Juice
160 Posts
02shootthej you just about had more than 1000 thanks in 1 post but it wont let me thank you more than once.. lol.. I bet their parents are proud they were born and raised to learn that a heavier truck gets great fuel mileage.. :haha

·
1,415 Posts
:whs

·
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just responded? More like responded for the 1390574290483920848th time. I don't understand how it's so hard for you guys to comprehend the reasoning behind tuning companies not being able to produce an economy tune.

If you wanted fuel economy you shouldn't have bought a 8,000 lb truck! I don't know how you don't do enough research on a truck before you buy it to realize that it's not going to get the mileage the previous generations have.

Go trade in for a f***ing prius already and tell us how happy you are then.
Yes, he just responded to a question on another thread. He did not respond 1390574290483920848 times on that thread.

Every 8,000 pound diesel truck that I have owned (23 and counting) with the exception of my (4) 6.4L Fords were able to consistently get 18 to 20 mpg on the highway running the speed limit. My 2004 Dodge would do even better at 23 mpg. I ran a tuner or chip on all of these trucks (with the exception of the 2004 Dodge).

For the record:

I have asked 08stroker250 if it is technically possible to develop a tune that will yield a 20% increase in fuel economy on the 6.4. No Response.

I've asked if the inability to get better fuel economy is just the nature/design of the 6.4. No Response.

I've asked why they can advertise a tune for "towing" but not "fuel economy" and received answers such as: "It's illegal to make an off-road tune and mention fuel economy" and "we can make a towing tune for those folks working off-road in the oil fields and on large ranches". When I mentioned that people working off-road are also concerned about fuel economy, once again I got No Response.

Why can't the new 8,000 pound trucks get the same mileage as the older generation trucks? We've taken off the EPA stuff, re-programmed the computer and reduced the rear-end ratios (Who'd of thunk we'd have a 3.31 in a diesel truck), yet we still can't achieve that magical 20 mpg highway number on a consistent basis.

We can put a man on the moon, clone sheep, communicate like they did on the old Star Trek series, yet no one in the United States of America can give us better fuel economy?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I'd drive a Prius, but I'm a contractor and it sure is hard to carry a load of plywood, air compressor, tool box and my fishing poles. I wonder if they make a trailer hitch for the Prius so that I can tow my Bass Boat?

I'm tired of typing, must stop for carpal-tunnel surgery.

·
1,415 Posts
One thing to remeber old trucks were on average lighter as well. And alot less power. No matter how you cut it more power uses more fuel. When you hammer down you burn alot of fuel quick in a new truck.

·
Spartan Diesel Tech
969 Posts
Yes, he just responded to a question on another thread. He did not respond 1390574290483920848 times on that thread.

Every 8,000 pound diesel truck that I have owned (23 and counting) with the exception of my (4) 6.4L Fords were able to consistently get 18 to 20 mpg on the highway running the speed limit. My 2004 Dodge would do even better at 23 mpg. I ran a tuner or chip on all of these trucks (with the exception of the 2004 Dodge).

For the record:

I have asked 08stroker250 if it is technically possible to develop a tune that will yield a 20% increase in fuel economy on the 6.4. No Response.

I've asked if the inability to get better fuel economy is just the nature/design of the 6.4. No Response.

I've asked why they can advertise a tune for "towing" but not "fuel economy" and received answers such as: "It's illegal to make an off-road tune and mention fuel economy" and "we can make a towing tune for those folks working off-road in the oil fields and on large ranches". When I mentioned that people working off-road are also concerned about fuel economy, once again I got No Response.

Why can't the new 8,000 pound trucks get the same mileage as the older generation trucks? We've taken off the EPA stuff, re-programmed the computer and reduced the rear-end ratios (Who'd of thunk we'd have a 3.31 in a diesel truck), yet we still can't achieve that magical 20 mpg highway number on a consistent basis.

We can put a man on the moon, clone sheep, communicate like they did on the old Star Trek series, yet no one in the United States of America can give us better fuel economy?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I'd drive a Prius, but I'm a contractor and it sure is hard to carry a load of plywood, air compressor, tool box and my fishing poles. I wonder if they make a trailer hitch for the Prius so that I can tow my Bass Boat?

I'm tired of typing, must stop for carpal-tunnel surgery.
You must have been skimming then because I gave responses for every question you asked (several times).....it may not have been the response that you wanted, but it was a response. I even answered one of your questions previous to you even asking when another member asked it, but I guess it was overlooked or once again not a pleasing answer. I didn't realize this "New Tune" discussion was going to blow up in our face like it has. This is the only forum that has given me this much stress on this topic. We are still open for suggestions, but I am done posting in both this thread and the "New Tune" thread.

·
FukeneH
197 Posts
You must have been skimming then because I gave responses for every question you asked (several times).....it may not have been the response that you wanted, but it was a response. I even answered one of your questions previous to you even asking when another member asked it, but I guess it was overlooked or once again not a pleasing answer. I didn't realize this "New Tune" discussion was going to blow up in our face like it has. This is the only forum that has given me this much stress on this topic. We are still open for suggestions, but I am done posting in both this thread and the "New Tune" thread.
can an eco tune be made if you live in canada?will PM

·
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
08stroker250

My apologies for my Rants & Raves. When O2ShootTheJ told me to go drive a Prius if I wanted mileage and implied that I shouldn't have been so dumb as to purchase a diesel truck and expect good fuel mileage, without doing the research, it went all over me. You got caught up in the cross-fire and I'm sorry.

I've requested early on that a Moderator stop this thread as it was being counter productive. Maybe one of them will step-in and do it now, since neither you nor I will be having any part of this.

As I have always said, SPARTAN has the best products, tunes, people and customer service.

I will also contact you via PM, in case you are not monitoring this thread.

·
606 Posts
I don't belive that people who ask for better fuel mileage with a heavy truck are all idiots, and need to drive " f***ing prius ". Maybe someone here that belives this can tell me how 3 axle tractors are getting almost double the fuel mileage than they did 20 years ago. With longer frames, larger sleepers and a lot more horse power etc, they sure don't weigh less. Idiot waiting for an answer.

Reactions: cartmanea

·
24 Posts

Dang dude, if I was getting the mileage you posted here I would be tickled sh!!less! I avg about 15-16 with the 275 and 310 but thats mostly town driving with an occasional road trip. On the road trips I'm always pulling a 5th or loaded 20' to the deer lease! I am happy though with the mileage. More would be better of course but being 8,500 lbs and being able to make 75% of the vehicles on the road look absolutely stupid when I want to just puts a little grin on! LOL

1 - 20 of 29 Posts