The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
862 Posts
What would you define as "drastic"? A good economy tuned chip can bump up mileage a bit, but don't expect a 5 mpg increase or anything like that. Also your driving style with a chip will have a lot to do with it. Any chip or programmer will add power, so you have to resist the temptation of using that power. Last, if you have the overhead console that displays mileage, don't rely on it. It's commonly called the "lie-o-meter" for a reason. Adding a chip or programmer seriously throws it off and makes it read 5-10 mpg higher than what you are actually getting. Mine once displayed 26 mpg on a highway trip, when actual mileage was closer to 17.

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
dp tuner 80 econo chip

·
Registered
175 Posts
Unless your truck is an egregious 9 MPG fuel hog, I would not look for any MPG improvement at all from a commercially avaialbe chip or tuner. Your MPG will probably get worse from a chip.

I have a fangs-out sold-my-soul-for-MPG custom burned chip and I gained a whopping 0.75 MPG.

If you what drastically higher MPG, I recommend changing gearing, cleaning up your aerodynamics, and smoothing out your driving. That worked well for me.

·
281 Posts
I've found driving at 65 instead of 70 gives a few extra mpg. Not only is the engine speed slower but wind drag goes down too.

·
TDG Singles Club #112
565 Posts
With the air box, free flowing exhaust, and my DP on 80 econo all the time, my mileage is up from 18 highway (when stock) to 22-24 highway mpg. And my overhead computer hasn't worked since I bought the truck, so all hand calculated and also figuring in the change in tire size as well.

Sam :grd

Good looking rig in your avatar pic by the way

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
cummins_cowboy said:
With the air box, free flowing exhaust, and my DP on 80 econo all the time, my mileage is up from 18 highway (when stock) to 22-24 highway mpg. And my overhead computer hasn't worked since I bought the truck, so all hand calculated and also figuring in the change in tire size as well.

Good looking rig in your avatar pic by the way
soory off topic but hey cummins cby check this out http://www.forgotton.net/diesel/tripcomputerfix/index.html you can fix the trip computer it 20 mins for free

·
TDG Singles Club #112
565 Posts
camojeeper said:
soory off topic but hey cummins cby check this out http://www.forgotton.net/diesel/tripcomputerfix/index.html you can fix the trip computer it 20 mins for free
Yeah I tried that. I guess I can't really say it hasn't worked since I've had the truck, it worked after I replaced a resistor and re-soldered the rest for about 2 weeks. Oh well the resistor cost me 80 cents so I am not that upset. I have been watching a new one on ebay for awhile, but I don't want to spend 160 bucks very bad.

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
10-4

·
strokin now cummin later!
1,116 Posts
is the oh concole acutaly broke or is the chip just fooling with it. i would think if the chip if fooling with it theres no way to fix it unless chip in removed. mine worked fine with a chip. its the 3.9k mod that messed mine up. it reads about 30mpg

·
TDG Singles Club #112
565 Posts
orangepstroke said:
is the oh concole acutaly broke or is the chip just fooling with it. i would think if the chip if fooling with it theres no way to fix it unless chip in removed. mine worked fine with a chip. its the 3.9k mod that messed mine up. it reads about 30mpg
Yeah its broke, I just haven't taken the time to re-solder it again. I fixed it after I put the DP in the pickup. Then it quit again.

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
10-4

·
Registered
274 Posts
Steps to better MPG.

Step 1: Purchase brick
Step 2: Paint brick favorite color
Step 3: Place brick under skinny pedal

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
FionaThe02PSD said:
Steps to better MPG.

Step 1: Purchase brick
Step 2: Paint brick favorite color
Step 3: Place brick under skinny pedal
ha ha ha thats great can i have a carbon fiber brick so i can be like the ricers? LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts