The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the March Diesel Power magazine and saw a "ad" on page 38 for a overdrive kit that quoted "instantly save up to 20 percent on fuel costs". The ad was for a duramax but the company also makes similar kits for cummins and power stroke trucks. Has anyone done this to their transmission and if so, does it work? We are all looking for better mileage and since I am fairly mechanically illiterate I had just never heard of this type of modification.

·
Formerly CursedtoFirst45
1,225 Posts
yes if you are referring to the gear vendors under/overdrive kit, it will help with gas mileage but if my memory serves me right, it is quite expensive. check out their site.

·
775 Posts
I checked into it for my 76 F250 with C6 and the price was around $2800 to $3500 and that was 4yrs ago. They are very strong and it will lower your RPMs but if your already running 3.73 it will lower your RPMs to much. Also that price does not include instalation. They are nice people and will send you a brochure with price list.

·
1,660 Posts
nhill2090 said:
it would take quite a long time for the cost of the unit to pay off in fuel costs
:agreed:

·
*^%$#@&am p;am p;am p;am p;am
1,327 Posts
i have a gear vendors overdrive here downunder

i love mine

economy is really only one factor to why gearvendors are so good

less wear and tear and lower rpms at hiway speeds above 70mph is the main reason i got mine

also splitting gears while hauling heavy loads is really usefull

i have a 6 speed manual with a 4.11 rear i tow heavy and run unladen all of the time.

i couldnt go back to stock now

·
Registered
175 Posts
A Gear Vendor or US Gear overdrive will improve your mileage. A less expensive approach is to change your gearing.

At today's fuel prices an overdrive will take 60-80,000 miles to pay for itself.

·
775 Posts
aussiedave said:
i have a gear vendors overdrive here downunder

i love mine

economy is really only one factor to why gearvendors are so good

less wear and tear and lower rpms at hiway speeds above 70mph is the main reason i got mine

also splitting gears while hauling heavy loads is really usefull

i have a 6 speed manual with a 4.11 rear i tow heavy and run unladen all of the time.

i couldnt go back to stock now
Are you still down under and what kind of smog does your trk have if you are?:popcorn:

·
1,327 Posts
heavyhaller said:
Are you still down under and what kind of smog does your trk have if you are?:popcorn:

i live downunder

my truck is a ford australia (Brazilian built) f350 7.3l psd

smog? do you mean pollution control like a "cat" filter?

if so our trucks dont have them

also we dont get superduty dieselS here any more cause they dont meet new emissions laws.

my truck is worth $90,000 US DOLLARS now because they dont make them anymore and demand is very high

my truck was only 1 of 200 XL f350 4x4 psd supercabs ever brought into the AUSTRALIA

·
775 Posts
aussiedave said:
i live downunder

my truck is a ford australia (Brazilian built) f350 7.3l psd

smog? do you mean pollution control like a "cat" filter?

if so our trucks dont have them

also we dont get superduty dieselS here any more cause they dont meet new emissions laws.

my truck is worth $90,000 US DOLLARS now because they dont make them anymore and demand is very high

my truck was only 1 of 200 XL f350 4x4 psd supercabs ever brought into the AUSTRALIA
That is very interesting, I shoud send my trk down their and sell it. HA HA LOL Take care :popcorn:

·
862 Posts
heavyhaller said:
That is very interesting, I shoud send my trk down their and sell it. HA HA LOL Take care :popcorn:
No kidding! I wonder what they would pay for mine?????????

Man, if I sold mine for $90K........ :sly:

·
1,327 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts