The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always been a fan of Kumho M/Ts over the past few years. Every truck I have lifted and had 22's or 24's on (Which is 6) has had a set or two on them.... I recently bought a new set and do not know what Kumho has done or changed, but this is the last time I EVER BUY THEM!!!! I bought 38x14x24s back on Feb. 24th and never in my life have I ever had such a crappy riding, non balancing, fast wearing tire in all the previous sets as these. I have spent 420 bucks since I bought them trying to get the shakes out of them and finally had a buddy who works for a retread facility check them out to find 3 of them are out of round..... I called the company I bought them from who are sending me a new set at no charge but 37s since they dont have 38s which is fine with me... My warning to you guys who just recently bought them is that if you can not get them to balance and still have shakes at speeds have someone check them to see if they are true.... I will update this tread next week when the 37s get here. We will be running them on the machine before they go on my truck to see if they are true or not... If they arent Nitto M/Ts or Toyo M/Ts here I come!!!

·
2,126 Posts
Interesting to hear. First I've heard of any problems with h

·
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My last set had the same symptoms but alot more tolerable. The guys at Discount Tire's where I bought them said that Kumho made some changes last year when times got tough and I wasnt the first to have these problems since then. One of there customers had Kumho buy them Toyo M/Ts after they put 13 tires on his truck and still never sent one that was true.. For what these companies charge for these tires you would think that they would make sure they are right before they leave... Sure wish more american tire companies offered a 24" rim mud tire... It is a shame when your two and a half year old tells you "No ride in daddys truck, it hurts my head." She looks like a bobble head doll back there from 48 to 55.

·
2,126 Posts
My last set had the same symptoms but alot more tolerable. The guys at Discount Tire's where I bought them said that Kumho made some changes last year when times got tough and I wasnt the first to have these problems since then. One of there customers had Kumho buy them Toyo M/Ts after they put 13 tires on his truck and still never sent one that was true.. For what these companies charge for these tires you would think that they would make sure they are right before they leave... Sure wish more american tire companies offered a 24" rim mud tire... It is a shame when your two and a half year old tells you "No ride in daddys truck, it hurts my head." She looks like a bobble head doll back there from 48 to 55.
I was thinking about putting them on a vehicle here pretty soon too as I wanted a decently priced mud terrain. :swear

·
518 Posts
makes me glad I decided to stick with toyos

thanks for the heads up

·
TDG #97
1,234 Posts
My Kumhos ride better than any M/T I have ever had... must just be a bad set you got...

·
BLING BLING
636 Posts
Same as above. This is one of the quietest mud tire and best balanced tire ive had and this is balanced by equal bags and no weights. And for the price I got mine for I have no complaints

·
2,126 Posts
When were all your's made?

·
85 Posts
Ride good here I would get them again.:peelout

·
BLING BLING
636 Posts
Is there a way to tell? Just got mine. Still has all the markings and nipples on em.

·
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry for the delay but was in Del Rio Texas since Sunday last week. Stopped by Discount Tire and got my new set of 37s saturday and man what a difference. Still have some vibrations at 40-45 but not bad at all.. When they balanced them they only took 3-4ozs of weight vs. the 12-15ozs the 38's took...

·
137 Posts
Must have just had a bad set. I am on my second set and I love them. They are WAY quieter than Nitto's and even Toyo's.

Just got mine balanced last weekend and the worst tire to 1.5 oz!

Just for sheets and grins, did they try spinning the tire 180 on the wheel? My old set went in one time and needed like 15oz, which the techs put on, when my buddy who works at Discount Tire went out to look at it, he had them rotate it 180 and it took less than 3oz to balance...

·
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We spun the 38s several times. These 37s are doing better but I think one of them needs looking at. Going back today to have them look at them.

·
56 Posts
mine ride fine

·
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got one out of round one in this set as well. Waiting on the new one to get here to swap it out with the bad one to see if the vibrations go away. I hope so.. This is ridiculous..

·
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well since the last post I have had 3 more sets of Kumho MTs with the same problems..Each set we tried everything from sand bags, tennis balls, some other stuff and nitrogen. I now have 37x13.50R24 Toyo MTs and guess what....NO MORE VIBRATIONS!!!! These tires are night and day vs the Kumho's...After owning 12 sets of Kumho's I can say I will not own another set after running these Toyo's...Just wanted to update this thread...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts