The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a bhaf today ($78 with my discount $125 without). I replaced a K&N that was about half the size and the same shape, it was designed exactly the same. The egts went down some but are still higher than I would like to see at Wot.

The thing that concerns me is that the turbo whistle is pretty much gone, before I could hear it and it was extremely loud at all rpms, now I can barely hear it except when I'm on the pedal really hard. If the bhaf flows better shouldn't I be able to hear the turbo more? :shrug:

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
iwannagofast said:
I purchased a bhaf today ($78 with my discount $125 without). I replaced a K&N that was about half the size and the same shape, it was designed exactly the same. The egts went down some but are still higher than I would like to see at Wot.

The thing that concerns me is that the turbo whistle is pretty much gone, before I could hear it and it was extremely loud at all rpms, now I can barely hear it except when I'm on the pedal really hard. If the bhaf flows better shouldn't I be able to hear the turbo more? :shrug:
The material on the BHAF just probably deadins sound alot more than the material in the K&N.

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts
I actually just went from an AMSoil 4510 (lifetime filter, cleanable, non oil) to a BHAF, as my dumb *** mounted it and the bolts that held the original airbox on punctured it. Buddy had a BHAF lyin around and gave it to me (yeah, my friends rock). I would recommend the AMSoil 4510, it whistles like MAD. I lost some whistle to the BHAF as well, though I would rather have something that filters than something that has risk (due to my moronic damage) of sucking crap into the turbo/engine.

Once I have some money to spend I am going to get myself an Icebox intake, that utilizes an enslosure that houses an AMSoil 4510, the filter I was running for a long while, and have come to really really like.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Here you go...
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002 Dodge/BOMBS/bhaf/bhaf.htm

But as for the icebox idea... Its not going to net you anything big for temps. I've been studying the IAT temp with my BHAF..

At startup the coolant, IAT and outside temps are the same... But as coolant temp rises the IAT rises too. Then to make it interesting the IAT will climb if your coasting or using a jake. Then the only time the IAT temp falls is under boost pressure. The rest of the time the heat from the head will warm the air up. The average offset is about +50*F over outside temps regardless...

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
You can take the CAT part number off of their. They quit offering them. That's what the local CAT dealer said at least.

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also tried to find the fram, called autozone and they said that they can't get it or cross ref it to anything.

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts
Good info as always Mike, I think I remember you mentioning what you said here somewhere else in the past- :Thumbup:

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
iwannagofast said:
I also tried to find the fram, called autozone and they said that they can't get it or cross ref it to anything.
Skip Advanced Auto and espcially Autozone :splat

Just go to Napa.

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It would have taken 2 days for napa to get one in, I went to Fisher auto and got a Hastings AF1012.

Why stay away from Advance and Autozone?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
iwannagofast said:
Why stay away from Advance and Autozone?
Odd ball stuff they might be able to get...............your wasting your time. The some stuff they carry right in the store ain't bad. But going beyond that, well your asking alot of a employee that could be working for free.

·
71 Posts
thats where i got mine.

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 14 of 14 Posts