The Diesel Garage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Official TDG Doctor
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I get my comp in on Monday or Tuesday, and after I do my tranny mods, Im going to install 100 or 125 injectors, FASS, SMARTY, and something along the lines of a 62/14...my question is will the BHAF hold up? I also heard that the stock air hose will like squeeze itself in under a lot of boost? is this true? what could i replace the stock hose w/?

Nathaniel

·
4,158 Posts
The BHAF will do fine up until about 500hp, with that setup you'll probably be around 385-415hp. The stock air hose will do fine under the amount of boost you'll make with the 62/14. It won't make that much boost.

·
Official TDG Doctor
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was just courious...and I really thought that would give me plenty more then just 415? I was shooting 450-460? but Im considering a Drag Comp...

Nathaniel

·
4,158 Posts
Well with just a Smarty it wouldn't be as high as you'd hope. With a drag comp in place of the Smarty, you might beable to get 450hp.

·
400 Posts
your talking about stacking your comp and a smarty right with injectors right?

·
Registered
550 Posts
i am making 453 with a bhaf on and it is still fine. it hasnt crushed itself yet, but that is with a stock charger. after i put on the big charger then i think i need to find a new intake.

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
A better way to fine out the limitation of a BHAF...

Just take a filter minder off your stock air filter box and mount it on the end of the BHAF.

Now to show you how light of a vacuum a filter minder can see just take the nipple end of it and suck on it. You notice that the human body can pull the disc completely down. This proves that it detect a very light vacuum.

So if you have a fresh filter in and the filter minder is drawing down then I would say that the BHAF has hit its limits. But for me I've been running one since 60K miles and about 3 years now and the filter minder has never moved yet.

http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002 Dodge/BOMBS/bhaf/bhaf.htm

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I think some of you are unrating the BAHF. It was made for use in the QSB and QSC and I think the QSC was rated at 540hp maybe more.

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
Phily 911 said:
I think some of you are unrating the BAHF. It was made for use in the QSB and QSC and I think the QSC was rated at 540hp maybe more.
I look at this way... It about 3 times larger than the stock filter... So it got a long ways to go before it a limit...

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
If it's stock on a 540hp QSC, I don't believe anyones really been pushing it to the limit.

EDIT:I'm yet to see anyone with over 500 hp claim to use a BAHF.

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
Phily 911 said:
If it's stock on a 540hp QSC, I don't believe anyones really been pushing it to the limit.

So what we need is someone with a 500+ HP truck to give a BHAF a test run on the rollers or on the street... :poke:

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Mikey is at least close, if not over 500

·
Registered
973 Posts
Phily 911 said:
The QSC is only available in 215-305hp, the ISC is only available in 240-330hp. The QSX is available in Agricultural or Stationary applications @ 540hp, if you are hinting to the idea that the air requirements for a 5.9L @ 500+hp are not that of a 15L @ 540hp you are sadly misinformed.

Phily 911 said:
What is a BAHF anyway? You must be running the Big Air Honking Filter model?

·
Trouble Maker
336 Posts
Smokem said:
The QSC is only available in 215-305hp, the ISC is only available in 240-330hp. The QSX is available in Agricultural or Stationary applications @ 540hp, if you are hinting to the idea that the air requirements for a 5.9L @ 500+hp are not that of a 15L @ 540hp you are sadly misinformed.
A marine QSC is available with HP levels up to 600...

However, these ratings are for intermittent use, and not designed to run continuous duty at these power levels.

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
MKoth said:
A marine QSC is available with HP levels up to 600...

However, these ratings are for intermittent use, and not designed to run continuous duty at these power levels.
Neither is the Cummins engine... The Cummins engine isn't rated for 600 HP constant duty either. So the BHAF should be a excellent choice... :poke:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.