The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I put bilsteins on my truck, my buddy has been ragging on me.

They have drain holes in the blue boots, that can only go on one way. In my case the blue boot is located in the down position. If these holes were UP, they would hold water as there is a cable tie holding the boot tight on the other end.

I'm guessing there is no right way, since bolt mounting widths are the same anyways. But common sense tells me I'm right.

I heard it's model specific.

Any input?

·
1,606 Posts
ALL Bilsteins mount so you can read the sticker on the shock body, regardless of model and location on truck.

·
TDG Official Poo Flinger
5,268 Posts
I offroad a lot,....and I run shocks "boot down" because I find that just regular driving, that all the water, sand, and road grime sit on the shaft seal if you don't.....sand and water is not a good thing to be sitting on the seal, ...all it will do is eventually cause failure, and can corrode/pit the shaft also, which will also cause failure.

·
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ALL Bilsteins mount so you can read the sticker on the shock body, regardless of model and location on truck.
In that the case the fronts would be boot down, and rears would be boot up.

Now sure I'd go by a little sticker though.

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
Uh, the boots face down on my Bilsteins in the rear...

·
Haulin' Hay
565 Posts
I'm running the fronts boot down (w/ no boot on there at all) and the rears boot up (w/ the boot on).

Bilsteins dont matter if they're up, or down, performance wise.

·
528 Posts
I ordered a set of 5100's for my truck and should be here anyday now. I'll check to see what the instructions say.

·
TDG Official Poo Flinger
5,268 Posts
I'm running the fronts boot down (w/ no boot on there at all) and the rears boot up (w/ the boot on).

Bilsteins dont matter if they're up, or down, performance wise.
Correct...performance wise....it doesn't matter....

.....but longevity wise(to reduce possiblility of seal failure/shaft pitting).....boots down...

·
528 Posts
I just installed my new shocks. Bilstein 5100s. The front one's have to go boot up because of the stud mount. The rears it doesn't matter. The writing is boot up but I installed mine boot down like tank says. Who cares if you can read the stickers. The ride is awesome with the new one's.

·
6 Posts
Due to me being an EX Jeep guy, I know for a fact that certain shocks can be mounted can up or can down and others can only be mounted can down. Check with Bilstein for correct mounting position.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts