The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
3,514 Posts
I think its just the fact that he was stealing the grease. I'm surprised he didn't just go in and ask for it, they'd probably give it to him for nearly nothing. I'd be surprised if he was going to truck 300 gallons from Morgan hill to atascadero too, the cost in fuel wouldn't make it worth the trip or effort unless he did it with a lot more fuel than 300gallons. Was there anything more or just that short article?
Sean

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No that's what all I found. It kind of struck me wierd though because Burger King uses Hydronated Oils, I thought bio was impossible out of hydronated oils. It doesn't seem clear if he was pumping into his fuel tank or not. Just some entertainment for us I guess.

Salon.com has been attacking alternate fuels lately too. I kind of took the title as if were soon to be doomed by biodiesel.

Anyone attacking alternate fuels for whatever reason, can't see the forest through the trees.

·
254 Posts
You can make biodiesel from hydrogenated oil, it justs is sometimes solid at rooms temps.

Phily 911 said:
No that's what all I found. It kind of struck me wierd though because Burger King uses Hydronated Oils, I thought bio was impossible out of hydronated oils. It doesn't seem clear if he was pumping into his fuel tank or not. Just some entertainment for us I guess.

Salon.com has been attacking alternate fuels lately too. I kind of took the title as if were soon to be doomed by biodiesel.

Anyone attacking alternate fuels for whatever reason, can't see the forest through the trees.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting I thought it was because it's impossible to Titrate because the hydrocarbon molecules are 1000 times more complex than regular oil and also causing it not to burn completely.
(Which is why hydogenated oil isn't exactly easy to digest in our bodies)

·
2,063 Posts
FYI, The Hydrogenation is a simple process of mixing water and oil together (with heat). The process is used to make product's like margine. Normally heat will not break this bond down, so it end's up acting like butter or lard, solid a low temp, and it still burns. Just a little trivia.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FYI, There's more science to it than just water oil and heat in Hydrogenated oils.:poke:

I've never heard of any recipe to make Biodiesel out of Hydrogenated oils. I probably shouldn't have said "impossible" because I didn't mean it literally. If your chemical engineer with way too much time on your hands you could pull it off.

Even then......saying we are all chemical engineers here, with way too much time on our hands. My bet is that the amount of acid would be different for each batch. Thus each batch would need Titration. Further adding to the pain in the *** that is to making Biodiesel. Just a little trivia.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts