The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A station 5 miles from my house just started carrying Biodiesel..My question if what is better the Biodiesel or the regular ULSD? What are the pros and cons about fuel mileage? Is it ok on the fuel filter? And if yall have anything more to add on the topic.. THANX Tyler

·
37 Posts
Bio is an incredibly effective solvent. It will not hurt your fuel filter per se, but it may loosen all the crap that has accumulated in your fuel system over time, causing the fuel filter to clog. This should only happen once, maybe twice, but may not happen at all. It depends on how clean your fuel system is upstream of the filter. When I started running bio, I changed the filter about a month in, just to be safe, but I never had one clog. The bio is better for all things that need lubrication, as the ULSD doesn't have nearly as much as the old fuel. The only major drawback to Bio is cold-weather operation. Depending on the stock it is made from, 40*F is about the limit. Any colder than that on straight Bio and you can count on a plugged filter.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Bio has better lubricity than ULSD. You will need more frequent fuel filter changes the first 3-10k miles because it cleans everything so well.
I'm not sure about the mileage between the two, probably close though. The bio wouldn't be a bad choice to me with all the lube and cleansing properties it contains.....

Just my .02 cents

·
strokin now cummin later!
1,116 Posts
i wish somone around here would sell it. i belive there looking into it but still no product.
what does it smell like out the exhaust?

·
Riding solow on the Hog
286 Posts
Also be aware that sometimes "Sub-standard" Bio makes its way into supplies. Standards arent always met in bioprocessing, which means that the fuel could contain excess soaps and glycerin, along with a host of other impurities. Over time, these elements can build up in your tank and/or lines, acting like "Cholesterol". trapping other impurities, and eventually youll have restrictions and clogs in your lines like hardened arteries. Its a PITA to have to deal with. Make certain that the bio you use tests within standards, and is from a reputable supplier. Bio is great stuff, dont get me wrong, and I process and run my own regularly, but its only great stuff when its processed properly. Just be aware.

·
168 Posts
i don't think you're talking about B100 here stroker, probably B5 - B20. I run B100 when the the weather warms up and yes it can cause a filter to get plugged up (only happened once). but I think you'll have less trouble with what they're selling at the pump versus home brew. I'm a definite advocate for bio-diesel, in fact I ran across a deal on some methanol last summer and was making home brew for just a shade over 50 cents a gallon.probably wont happen this year but I'll still beat the pump price by a longshot .but i say go for it it's good for your truck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I ran B99 through the truck one time. I filled up in Bend, OR. The price was a little lower than petroleum diesel. I drove from there to Sacramento, CA. The power seemed to be about the same and my mileage was a little better. BUT in fairness, I had also put on my 4" turbo back exhaust that weekend too, so I don't know if the increase in mileage was from the bio or the bigger exhaust. Probably because it was only once, I didn't see any issues with my filter.

·
748 Posts
EZSnow said:
Bio is an incredibly effective solvent. It will not hurt your fuel filter per se, but it may loosen all the crap that has accumulated in your fuel system over time, causing the fuel filter to clog. This should only happen once, maybe twice, but may not happen at all. It depends on how clean your fuel system is upstream of the filter. When I started running bio, I changed the filter about a month in, just to be safe, but I never had one clog. The bio is better for all things that need lubrication, as the ULSD doesn't have nearly as much as the old fuel. The only major drawback to Bio is cold-weather operation. Depending on the stock it is made from, 40*F is about the limit. Any colder than that on straight Bio and you can count on a plugged filter.
I have ran a few tanks of B5 this winter. I just changed my fuel filter after 20k miles and noticed no sludge or anything out of the ordinary.
Here is what I did notice. Mileage was the same as ULSD, started harder in cold temps if I didn't have any cetane booster in it, ran quieter down the road and at idle. It was 17 cents a gal cheaper. I will continue run it as often as I can when I'm near the station in my locale that sells it.

·
1,921 Posts
There was a place by where I work that used to carry it before they closed up shop. They had B20 and I've ran it a few times. It seemed that my mileage wasn't as good with it. I think that was before the ULSD though and it seems I've heard complaints of people having worse mileage with the ULSD than with the standard #2 from before. I never had any clogging issues but I did change the filter shortly after I ran it a couple times to be sure. It does have a different smell to it for sure.

I've been looking for an old diesel ranger that I was going to get a kit to run straight WVO in just for an experiment. Thought it'd be fun to mess with but didn't want to mess anything up on my expensive truck to do it.

·
Member in Learning!
105 Posts
Stroker, how much was it per gallon?

And does anyone have a detailed(very detailed) write up on how to to produce your own bio diesel?
How long does it take to produce a 55 gallon barrel? Can you put it in your regular tank, or do you need an aux tank?

I live in the desert so it doesnt get below 40*F very much.

My neighbor and I are thinking of doing the research and maybe start making our own as gas is rising quicker than ever...

Looks like sleeperstroke should be the chemist in the know...

·
Registered
56 Posts
jmbstudios said:
Stroker, how much was it per gallon?

And does anyone have a detailed(very detailed) write up on how to to produce your own bio diesel?
How long does it take to produce a 55 gallon barrel? Can you put it in your regular tank, or do you need an aux tank?

I live in the desert so it doesnt get below 40*F very much.

My neighbor and I are thinking of doing the research and maybe start making our own as gas is rising quicker than ever...

Looks like sleeperstroke should be the chemist in the know...

Do a web search for "Bio Diesel Kits" - You'll get a BUNCH of entries to read. Haven't done it, so I can't endorse any. You will get information about it.

·
Member in Learning!
105 Posts
A BUNCH that was an understatement... Too many to even think about reading....

I picked a few and have been studying them to find out how cost/time effective it would be.

I also found the Automated Biopro processing machines. You'd have to put out some serious cash for one, but would pretty much pay for itself in a few years, unless you had a buddy or two to go in on it and split the coststhen it could be quicker. The big benefit is that it is almost worry free. Turn it on, hit the button, and wait......in a nutshell.

·
168 Posts
try" collaborative biodiesel tutorial", thats where i started, it will show you everything from building an appleseed processor, to titrating your oil, filtering, etc... works for me. been making my own going on 2 yrs. now, if you need any help gimme a holler.
tommy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts