The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is your HVAC fan missing a few speeds? Mine had two speeds... Speed 1 did nothing. Speeds 2 and 3 were the same, which was speed 2 if it were to work normally. High was still fine. To fix this, you need to replace your blower motor resistor.

Tools Needed: 5/16" end wrench. If you have the fancy ones with the ratchet built into em, use it.

Parts needed: One blower motor resistor, part # 4c2z-19a706-aa. Lists for $16.18, cost is $12.14 from your local dealer.
Beer

It's a relatively simple job, but it's in a pain in the butt spot (lower bolt is a pain).

Unscrew it, unplug it, and replace it. My factory side of the connector was junk and fell apart as soon as I pulled it out, so I had to cut it off and use female spade connectors. They fit right on the relay.

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
Thats for the write up

·
1,700 Posts
Also most of the time the blower resister fails you will lose all blower speeds but high. And for the picky people that want to replace the actual hardshell connector, you can get them at the dealer ( connector plus wiring). Ask to look at the connector book if they wont look it up for you. The connector book will be made like a typical picture calender and has nice color pics of almost all the common connectors from 1-pin to 10+-pins.

·
119 Posts
The dealer did this repair a few months ago - under warranty. First they replaced the entire fan/ac controller at the dash. That didn't fix it so they replaced the resistor and all the speeds worked again. They left the new controller in it. I asked the service guy were the resistor was and he could not tell me. Drrr.

Thanks for the pic. Being an electronics guy I have pictured in my mind a pig-tailed resistor but I doubt that's what it is. Does anyone have a picture of what it looks like?

Cheers

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like a spring... seriously.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts