The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know on cars ( mustang's, camaro's) that have turbos on them run BOV's Y don't we? I know all about compressor surge and that it's good to have a bov on a car. But what about on a diesel truck. Hell cars most of the time only make 12-16 psi (talking street NOT the Strip) where we make 35-45 psi. So y don't we run them?:shrug:

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I'm not really sure why they aren't more common :shrug: They are good to have but BD is about the only one who makes one and they are a little spendy

·
454 Posts
Dual K20s said:
I'm not really sure why they aren't more common :shrug: They are good to have but BD is about the only one who makes one and they are a little spendy

They are not on diesel engines because diesel is not a throttle operated engine, another words no throttle body. a diesel engine meters fuel, while a gas engine meters air. Gas engines need the blow off valve to get rid of the exrta pressure between the turbo and the valvebody when it closes. Thats why there is no need for one on a diesel.

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
Cumminsdude2001 said:
They are not on diesel engines because diesel is not a throttle operated engine, another words no throttle body. a diesel engine meters fuel, while a gas engine meters air. Gas engines need the blow off valve to get rid of the exrta pressure between the turbo and the valvebody when it closes. Thats why there is no need for one on a diesel.
I don't think this is true...

Still in all either way gas or diesel you can get turbo barking. I'm capable of doing it with my stock turbo now with just a Edge Comp. Turbo barking is the rushing of air back out the intake of the turbo when the throttle is dropped quickly. This backwards rush is enough to break turbo shafts at enough boost pressure. At any rate turbo barking is not good for a turbo...

·
307 Posts
Does anyone else make them for diesel trucks or will any bov work?

I have been looking for one because some say that the HX40 I just installed have problems snapping shafts and I don't want to buy another turbo.

I just don't want to spend $700 on one when all these ricer guys get them for around $200. However most that I have found are only adjustable up to 20 psi or so.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mopar1973Man said:

Still in all either way gas or diesel you can get turbo barking. I'm capable of doing it with my stock turbo now with just a Edge Comp. Turbo barking is the rushing of air back out the intake of the turbo when the throttle is dropped quickly. This backwards rush is enough to break turbo shafts at enough boost pressure. At any rate turbo barking is not good for a turbo...

some one needs to tell this to Ford cause my f-550 does this all the time. :ford

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Cumminsdude2001 said:

Makes sense to me I believe we have a winner :popcorn:

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
iwannagofast said:
Does anyone else make them for diesel trucks or will any bov work?

I have been looking for one because some say that the HX40 I just installed have problems snapping shafts and I don't want to buy another turbo.

I just don't want to spend $700 on one when all these ricer guys get them for around $200. However most that I have found are only adjustable up to 20 psi or so.

I think it would be relatively simple to adapt one to any turboed engine with a little work

·
454 Posts
Mopar1973Man said:

I am sure of that, i was just stating that because gas engines have throttle bodies there is all that pressure from the turbo pushing against it and something has to be there to relieve the pressure. The only time i have ever heard of a blowoff valve on a diesel was on a truck that was in proffesional drag racing or tractor pulling from what i have seen from videos and read articals. Never seen one in person on a diesel. I know when my cousin had his Eclips 4cyl 5spd. he had an aftermaerket blowoff valve that replaced the factory one, and i know he liked taking it up newengland dragway. Other than that i don't know what types of requirements they are needed on.

·
454 Posts
to dual K20's

I think my turbo farts if i leave the silencer on it. I have a 2001 24V with auto tans. I know if i am heavy on the trottle and let off before the TC locks. with the silencer in i get a cchhhhh cchhhhh cchhhhh sound almost like the wastgated is opening and closing a couple times. with the silencer out it just gives you that normal wooosh sound when slows down after heavy throttle.

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No matter gas or diesel stock or after market you can still surge the turbo. So we need to come up with a way to tap a intake line so that this dosen't happen. I think that you can use a ricer BOV you just need to put in a bigger spring in.something that will take 50psi. it all works the same. A diesel has bigger parts and more PSI.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
:whs We want a blow-off valve that opens when you let off the throttle regardless of the pressure, not a pop-off valve that opens at a certain psi

·
Registered
13 Posts
i worked for subaru for several years and was taught through factory training that there needs the be a bov for the reason cumminsdude stated. that being when the throttle body slams shut the pressure needs to go somewhere. on the subarus, at least, the charge was released into the intake before the turbo.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts