The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this else where and got one reply back the guy thought that body lifts in general were unsafe.

Here is what I intend to do: Install a 2" body lift so I can fit the down pipe for a Banks Turbo Kit. Then I intend to put a 2.5" Tough Country Suspension lift under it as well to fit 35" tire under her.

I've emailed Banks to find out if I actually need to install a body lift to fit their turbo kit. So far no reply. I have aslo emailed Tough Country and no reply. I've also emailed ATS and Hypermax about their turbo kits and no response yet.

I have seen truck that have both body and suspension lifts however I want to make sure since I will have precious cargo in the form of a 5 y/o daughter and 2 y/o son, onboard sometimes.

Any and all help and or advice from you all will be much appreciated.

·
324 Posts
I personally would not run a body lift, in your instance I understand that it might be necessary to get the clearance that you need. I think however if they are done right and you have no need to install a gooseneck hitch or haul a camper in the bed you would probably be alright. Good luck with it and since you occasionally have "precious" cargo MAKE sure its done RIGHT.

·
6,337 Posts
A mild body lift would be ok, I dont prefer them. I think they should stay on the toyota trucks and such. But, 1-2" would be somewhat safe and if done right would work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I understand I just need an additional 1" of clearance to fit the down pipe. I just can't find a 1" body lift and "hockey pucks" are out of the question.

·
511 Posts
yea i think that might be a tuff find, i havent looked very hard but i dont think ive seen super duty body lifts, as for the safe aspect just about all my friends with ck's have 3'' body lifts with no problems

·
255 Posts
I have a 3" on my OBS and so far no problems. Take your time and do it correctly and you'll have no problems. If you do a lot of wheelin' that makes the frame flex, you might not want to do it. I know there are some nasty holes in Ninillchik.

·
2,951 Posts
AKCCF350 said:
I have a 3" on my OBS and so far no problems. Take your time and do it correctly and you'll have no problems. If you do a lot of wheelin' that makes the frame flex, you might not want to do it. I know there are some nasty holes in Ninillchik.

I had a 3" on my 95 OBS too!!! Never had a problem.

Lonnie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, guys. Don't do a whole lot of wheeling with this truck. Getting through some washout is about it. Just want a nice truck. Bride always gets the new rigs so I figured I 'd make my old one as nice as I could afford. Drive the logging roads and have the older truck for the beach. Use 4-wheelers to mud it up. Although there are some great 4x4 trails out Oilwell Rd, might have to build a truck for that one day...that is before they close it down.

Seen a truck yesterday, 89' Ford with a 3" body lift + a 12" suspension lift on craigs list http://anchorage.craigslist.org/car/589321573.html . Doesn't seem like he had much of a problem. I have no intention of going anywhere near that height. Like you all said do it right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts