The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
TDG Mafia Member # 70
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got my boost, tranny, and pyro gauges. two questions, should the pyro go before or after the turbo? and where should i insert my "T" for the boost gauge? will the wastegate actuator line work?

·
6,337 Posts
Pyro goes pre turbo, otherwise you are wasteing the gauge. See pic...

Boost, the wastegate line is a vac line not a pressure line so no. You want to T into the MAP sensor line or drill and tap the Y pipe. You can also delete the intake air heater and tap that location. See Pic...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
How did you figure out that the wastegate line is vacum Joe?

·
535 Posts
4cstr said:
You can also see on our shop project page where the various probes go.

Gauge Install
i have a mechanical boost gage not an elec so it dont help me much

·
535 Posts
thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
just visiting said:
i have a mechanical boost gage not an elec so it dont help me much
actualy the boost guage the put in is a mechanical. look at the pictures and they just show where you drill and tap for the fitting.

for your pyro guage I would drill and tap the exhaust manifold on the drives side about two inches befor the flange. it is a easy spot to get at and drilling and tapping the manifold is a much better way than using the clamp style hoders that are just an exhaust leak waiting to happen.

Steve

·
6,337 Posts
Stircrazy said:
actualy the boost guage the put in is a mechanical. look at the pictures and they just show where you drill and tap for the fitting.

for your pyro guage I would drill and tap the exhaust manifold on the drives side about two inches befor the flange. it is a easy spot to get at and drilling and tapping the manifold is a much better way than using the clamp style hoders that are just an exhaust leak waiting to happen.

Steve

Two years and not one leak... Three years on my 99 and no leak... Both are easy but there is nothing wrong with the drill and clamp!

·
31 Posts
I'm having issues with my new boost guage not showign any boost. My Attitude display is reading it though. I am going to have to look at the lines again and make sure I tapped into the right line. I hadn't thought of tapping the y-pipe!

·
TDG Mafia Member # 70
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so what about shavings? did you just let me drop in the y pipe? i know for my exhaust gauge, i put grease on the drill bit, that worked great.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
It's probably a good idea to remove the wye pipe to drill and tap it, that way you can clean it before putting it all together.

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #71
1,288 Posts
Definitely remove the Y-pipe, I also drilled mine at an angle.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
the y pipe works but can be a pain....used it a couple of times...u can drill it on the truck just use a vaccum to suck all the junk out....but i would recomend takin it off for sure...takes a little more time but its easier in the long run...

·
6,337 Posts
DO NOT DRILL THE Y PIPE WITH IT ON THE TRUCK...

Once they drop INTO the motor there is no way to get any chips or shavings out of the motor. Its very easy to remove and much safer.

MarriottTuning said:
the y pipe works but can be a pain....used it a couple of times...u can drill it on the truck just use a vaccum to suck all the junk out....but i would recomend takin it off for sure...takes a little more time but its easier in the long run...

·
TDG Mafia Member # 70
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CSIPSD said:
DO NOT DRILL THE Y PIPE WITH IT ON THE TRUCK...

Once they drop INTO the motor there is no way to get any chips or shavings out of the motor. Its very easy to remove and much safer.

i'm just afraid if i take it out, i will not be able to put it back in right, the Y pipe. and then i will be in big trouble.

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #71
1,288 Posts
No, it is very easy........take your time........but like csipsd said do not do this while it is on the truck, if you don't what to go this route.......delete the air intake heater.....itp has all the stuf you need to do this....again very simple......or tap the map line..again very simple......you can do this with out a doubt.

·
TDG MAFIA #94
519 Posts
what year is this motor? not to inrude on this thread but im curios. it looks like the "new" 7.3L (>'99)

·
TDG Mafia Member # 70
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
StrokinSnyd said:
what year is this motor? not to inrude on this thread but im curios. it looks like the "new" 7.3L (>'99)

mine is the "new-est" 7.3L if you were asking me. i have a 2000.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts