The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much boost should a 2002 7.3 Liter F-350 make with an intake, edge box , superchips programmer, and a straight piped exhaust?

·
I be Architect'n
351 Posts
Maybe lower to mid 30's, but definitely high 20's w/ no boot leaks or turbo issues.

Smarter people than I will be along shortly.

·
coreystroke02
171 Posts
I'm making 32 lbs. at WOT, which is a little much. Around 26-28 lbs. is the limit with a stock turbo. If I keep on, I'll be a smoking another factory turbo.

·
6,337 Posts
25-30#'s.... Stock turbo is rated for 25#'s but can handle 28-30 for short times without grenading

·
Registered
596 Posts
Running the turbo out of it's compressor map usually means it's over-speeding to start with. Then you are also creating excessive heat and side loading the shaft. The stock turbo has a horrible thrust bearing and doesn't take much abuse for long.

With stock turbo and and Edge/Juice I saw 25 pounds which is where I had my waste gate set. Now with the DP-Tuner and a new turbo I can get more boost than I want to have.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry to side track this tread, but what boost should I see with a stock system? My quadzilla shows me 14 psi if i put the petal to the floor. Is that normal? or should I see more?

Thanks

·
6,337 Posts
Its a little low, stock should see about 18

·
6,337 Posts
There a bit tougher, 27-30 psi on the OBS stuff seems to be the norm

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well -- I am curious as to mine as well. An early 99 7.3 - how much boost should it be pulling and about what can I take it to before it's going to die?

·
6,337 Posts
Same thing, about 18-20 stock. 25+ with a chip. I have seen early 99 turbos take 30psi for lots of miles...

·
37 Posts
ebbnflow said:
Sorry to side track this tread, but what boost should I see with a stock system? My quadzilla shows me 14 psi if i put the petal to the floor. Is that normal? or should I see more?

Thanks
If you have the old quad that reads off the stock MAP sensor, you may not be getting an accurate reading. I think they have a new upgrade that puts in an aftermarket MAP for the quad to read- independant of the stock MAP. A buddy had the quad in his truck- I wouldn't trust the boost display.

·
Cummin' get ya some!
154 Posts
hmm i think i have a leak or something b/c the highest ive ever seen mine was 24 w/ everything listed in my sig.

·
148 Posts
dotson90 said:
hmm i think i have a leak or something b/c the highest ive ever seen mine was 24 w/ everything listed in my sig.
Try disconnecting your wastegate. Even with my mods listed, I could only hit 23-24, and I had to be on it very hard to hit that. I disconnected the WG and it made a night and day difference. Spool-up is fast and I can readily hit 25 ...touched 30 at one point towing when I wasn't paying attention. That won't happen again. :damnit

·
Registered
30 Posts
Put a hole in my wastegate line and a boost relief valve before the map, i hit 28-30 easy, spool up time is a lot faster.

·
Cummin' get ya some!
154 Posts
i used to have my wastegate unplugged before i got the juice w/attitude but i hooked it back up i was a little worried with it surging but i guess i could monitor it now with the attitude on the way home to night i had it on extreme and to the floor i could only get 24.4 but im defininetly goin to unplug the wastegate again

·
6,337 Posts
LocoMotion said:
I can peg my 30psi gauge :shrug:

:evil:

:shrug: I can beg my 40#...:poke: LOL Without my oil kit...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts