The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way home tonight from out of town my boost started to bounce up and down about 2psi and would act like it was cutting out but i was holding steady on the throttle. the boost was even jumping up and down when i would let off of it, it would go up to about 1.5psi back to 0 and when coasting it is always at 0psi. Any ideas. It would do this in all stages on the chip even stock.

Thanks
Scott

·
92 Posts
:shrug: I know mine doesn't jump like that but like when I get on it really hard and let off my boost falls to just about nothing and give it a minute and it picks back up?

·
137 Posts
Where is your boost gauge hooked in at? Did you drill and tap the elbow, or did you hook the gauge into your map sensor? The elbow will give a more accurate reading, the map sensor tends to show a lot of fluctuation.

·
92 Posts
Mine is in the elbow.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an Edge so its hooked into the comp. and i cant feel a surge just the cutting out.

·
59 Posts
It is possible your VGT solenoid is starting to fail. This would result in erratic boost readings. However if you can't see anything else going on (abnormally high EGTs etc) it is possible that the Edge itself is getting flaky, I have heard of these modules doing this in the past.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how do i check that?

·
59 Posts
Well to check the VGT solenoid you need a scan tool capable of component testing. There is no easy in driveway check for it. However if the VGT was failing you would definitely see/feel changes when the truck was moving high EGTs, crappy performance, massive amounts of smoke etc.

If the Edge is crapping out on you it can cause all sorts of unexplained problems. The easiest check for a module failure is to run without it and see how the truck acts.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oil is good and I guess i will just take it to the shop.

Scott

1 - 11 of 11 Posts