The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new glow plug relay because my old one went bad and burned up all my glow plugs. And we were messing around with the old relay before we took it off the truck to see if that was what was wrong and we touched something wrong and it sparked and my Wait TO Start light would not come on we just blew the relay fuse. Ok so no great big deal but we put the new relay on last night and the new fuse in and when i went to turn on the key the Wait To Start light comes on for about 1 sec and then goes off and the relay will just tick, like tick tick tick tick tick. So now what the heck is wrong?? :bang

·
645 Posts
they are a pain in the ***

I had a few of them trucks, I just installed a push button to excite the relay. I worked very well, as long as you didn't hold it to long, I would dow 20 seconds max when real cold. 10 second worked well for most starts.

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thank you i will keep that in mind. I took back the new relay, we think it might be bad but if it does the same thing i will have to try that.

·
TDG MAFIA
730 Posts
What year truck we talking about? There are two different systems depending if you have the 6.9 or 7.3 motor. Did you install Motorcraft glow plugs/

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a 1993 7.3 turbo. i am getting Beru's, is that a pretty good brand of glow plugs? The glow plugs were bad in the truck when i got it so i bought all new Auto Lights and it burned those all up the relay was staying on. I was talking to a guy and he said the Auto Lights are a really crappy bran and they swell a lot or brake off. Is Motercraft better then Beru's?

·
TDG MAFIA
730 Posts
Ok you have the newer version glow plugs (solid State system) And yes Beru is also motorcraft so your good there! Yes Autolight and champion are the two worst plugs to ever buy for an IDI. Everyone swears by the Motorcraft/Beru plugs.

Just remember Motorcraft is Beru.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Ok so no great big deal but we put the new relay on last night and the new fuse in and when i went to turn on the key the Wait To Start light comes on for about 1 sec and then goes off and the relay will just tick, like tick tick tick tick tick. So now what the heck is wrong?? :bang
At what temperature?

Let me take a photo of how the GPR should be wired...

The GPR is activated by the GPC it is mounted to based on GP temperature. High resistance = high temperature, if the GPC sees high resistance in the GP circuit it will think the engine is warm, whether it is or not. Therefore, it is important to make SURE all the terminals are clean and tight and the bullet connectors seat well onto the GPs. With one bad GP the GPC will short-cycle the GPs and you may have a misfire or hard start below about 30*F, with two bad, it will more than likely not start at all because the GPC will not think the engine is cold enough to need the GPs on very long - even at -20*F.

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The truck was cold and it was about 32 out. Thanks for the help John. I took back the GPC and i am just going to run a push button to the glow plugs and i hope that works. I have had a lot of guys tell me the GPC are a pain in the butt. And + that will save me 83 dollars so we will give it a try. Thank you all for the help! Mitch

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Boy don't hold the button over 8 seconds or so, 12 max and that is ONLY if it's REALLY cold, like below 0*F or you will burn up those GPs!

The solid state controllers are excellant, I have never needed to replace one. The older "slow start" systems and all GMs, yea, they were junk.

·
645 Posts
Boy don't hold the button over 8 seconds or so, 12 max and that is ONLY if it's REALLY cold, like below 0*F or you will burn up those GPs!

The solid state controllers are excellant, I have never needed to replace one. The older "slow start" systems and all GMs, yea, they were junk.
I found 10 seconds worked for 6.9 I had and they lasted a year or so, I would only use the glow plug if it was the 1st start of the day.

Is there a 6.9/7.3 GP that is as robust as the powerstroke GP.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
I found 10 seconds worked for 6.9 I had and they lasted a year or so, I would only use the glow plug if it was the 1st start of the day.

Is there a 6.9/7.3 GP that is as robust as the powerstroke GP.
For a 6.9L with the "slow start" GPs, that is not a huge problem, but.....

It is a 1993 7.3 turbo.
He has a 7.3L and they ALL have the "fast start" system (6V GPs in a 12V system).

To answer the IDI/PSD GP question, well no. The BERUs are VERY good and with the solid state GP controller (fast start) I have seen GPs last 7 years, but I have also seen them fail in two years. With the PSDs, it is RARE to ever replace a GP.

I think of GPs like spark plugs, you gotta change them every few years, even if you use good ones. Injectors too, gas or diesel, they don't last forever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts